Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

side gate

Flying-phonix
Getting Established

side gate

I want to make a side gate for my front yard but i dont kno what to do can anyone help me?

All i want is a simple gate. 

pete_brig
Making a Splash

Re: side gate

Hi. I may have been in a similar situation--cut a space into an existing timber fence & inserted a gate. Used a gate frame to keep it simple.

Reply if you want to provide details & get suggestions. Cheers, Peter

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Flying-phonix,

Sorry for the slow reply, but I'm sure the Workshop community can help you with this project. 

I'd recommend you start with the Bunnings How to build a gate tutorial. I will also attach a video below.

Wonderful Workshop member @Tara86 followed the guide and achieved a brilliant result as you can see in this post - D.I.Y. gate - thanks to Bunnings tutorials. I'm sure Tara would be more than happy to give you any assistance you need if you come back to us with any specific questions.

Great to see you make your first post on the community. We are looking forward to seeing your gate project come to fruition. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

Atm there is some timber there to block the side but its short it was put there by the previous owner and now i would love to put a side gate and a little more higher 

Perhaps you could share some photos so members can see what you are working with @Flying-phonix?

Jason

20191212_160339.jpg

Thanks for that @Flying-phonix. Plenty of scope for improvement!

Do you have any specific questions based on the how to build a gate tutorial? Then helpful members like @Tara86@Shannon and @Brad can provide more specific advice rather than just general tips.

Jason

What do i need to do first

Do i need to put a post for the gate

Really i need to know all there is to make a picketed side gate

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects