Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A temporary fix for rotting eave/fascia?

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

A temporary fix for rotting eave/fascia?

I plan to paint my house in the next year or so and will replace a few rotten boards at that time. This is the worst of them - a the surface has just broken, opening it to the elements (and creatures). This section is over the garage and I'm hoping to somehow seal it temporarily to stop it getting too much more exposed. Any advice and treatment recommendations please?IMG_4395.JPGIMG_4396.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A temporary fix for rotting eave/fascia?

Hello @Nickim1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your fascia.

It looks like the damage has travelled into the frame of the eave. I suggest using a Multi Tool to cut out as much of the the damaged area as you can. Once you've cut out the damaged area, I recommend spraying the area with Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener. Leave it to cure for 24 hours and then apply Turbo 175ml Builders Bog Flexipack to seal the cut area.

To cover the gap temporarily, I suggest spraying Expanding Foam into the gap and then trimming it down until it's close to its original shape. I propose painting it, to give it an extra layer of protection. When you're ready to properly repair the area area simply pull the foam out with a screwdriver.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when repairing the damaged area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nickim1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric, I'll try that

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated @Nickim1, and shout out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitch - I used wood hardener and expanding foam then trimmed/sanded that back and painted with primer. So good for now. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's terrific to hear, @Nickim1!

Remember to reach out anytime you need assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects