Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on paint colouring whites

heidistander
Finding My Feet

Advice on paint colouring whites

Hello, another query I'm really struggling to decide on. 

I need to paint the ceiling and corners of my home but also have some white walls to paint, is there a general rule of advice when choosing colours or any advice you can provide on which whites work well from your experience so it doesn't look like a white wall cell?

My thoughts to date are a ceiling white and maybe lexicon half for the wall.. ???

Many thanks, 
Heidi. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Advice on paint colouring whites

Hi @heidistander,

This is a really great question, one that many renovators go through - the dreaded white wall and which white is best. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon but let me tag some of our great reno and styling members @lifestylebymari@Cocoplum, and @homeinmelbourne to see if they have any advice. Personally, I think having a slight contrast will look lovely and avoid the "white wall cell" look. When you are ready to rock your paint selection, check out How to paint like a professional for some great tips. 

Please keep us updated with your project with photos, we would love to see your transformation. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @heidistander

I understand your worry about getting too much white in any one room. Having a contrasting neutral colour is sometimes a good option. I highly recommend getting some test pots so that you can actually see the difference before committing the whole room. One of the techniques that designers use is to introduce colourful furniture, rugs and paintings to break up the uniform colour in the room.

The purpose of using white is so that you can change the elements in the room without having to repaint the entire room. Just like a blank canvas adding colour to it gives it life. I suggest testing Lexicon half and Lexicon quarter along with Antique White half and Hogs Bristle quarter. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you @EricL  so helpful to have a little guidance! I'll grab some sample pots today from bunnings and give them a go :smile:

Also do you have any advice on painting a front door, is water based okay does it need a pre coat of protector or anything?

Cheers, 
Heidi. 

Hello @heidistander

Thank you for your question. Jumping in to say @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back on the site later today. 

In the meantime, also tagging @Nham and @homeinmelbourne to see if they have any thoughts on your query about painting a front door.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @heidistander

If you have a brand new door or an old door it's important that you sand it down before you paint it. For doors already painted, I suggest getting some methylated spirits and a clean rag to find out if it is painted in oil-based paint or water-based paint. Put some methylated spirits on the clean rag and polish a small hidden corner. If the paint comes off it is a water-based paint, but if it only polishes the surface it is an oil-based paint. 

Make sure to use the correct type of paint when repainting your door. It is always practical to prime the surface of the door before putting on the top coat. To answer your question earlier, yes, you can use a water-based paint for your door. I recommend an Enamel water-based paint if it's compatible with your current door paint. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

tal_itha
Building a Reputation

@heidistander my number one tip is to go the SAME white on both the walls and the ceilings, just in different finishes. So matt on the ceiling, and low sheen on the wall.

In terms of colour, cooler whites, like lexicon, throw a lot of grey and blue in rooms with no natural light. If you aren't getting heaps of sunlight I'd go a warmer white. 

I went with Dulux Natural white ½ strength on my walls and ceilings, and I love it. Full strength it was a touch too cream for me. Other nice ones are Snowy Mountains and Casper White.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tal_itha

Thank you very much for those extra suggestions, I'm sure @heidistander will appreciate them. I totally agree even with a different finish you get a contrast in the overall look.

Eric

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Hi @heidistander 

White is a tricky colour. Like you mentioned, it can easily look like a hospital. Popular cool white for modern houses is lexicon, more neutral white is white on white. If you are not sure and totally lost between all white options, usually white on white goes well with everything. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgSyx1-BQoS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link in this house we used white on white

This one is interesting. Outdoor colours reflect on whites and you can get a very different feeling as a result. We used lexicon here but because of all the  windows and green outdoors, it does not look or feel like lexicon. https://www.instagram.com/p/CI4w4XUj7ZF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

I suggest you to try A3 size different whites on your walls before deciding. Put same paint on different walls and check in the morning, afternoon and evening. 

If you prefer adding some interest to white wall, try lime wash.

Hope this helps

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects