Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on window repair for painting

MichaelKuen
Finding My Feet

Advice on window repair for painting

89B1FADF-B9BD-4C35-AC64-1FD02D2BE463.jpeg

  

We have a house build in the 1960s. We are going around remodelling the whole place and one thing I’m stuck on is how to fix up the windows where there is flaking and a groove against the window and wood. I have tried looking up online but it’s hard to find the info. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do. I would like it to look nice and neat around the glass. Images attached.

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on window repair for painting

Hello @MichaelKuen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about repairing and repainting your timber window trims.

This type of damage is often caused by condensation. In order to repair the damaged area, I suggest sanding the damage using the Ryobi One+ 18V Corner Sander - Skin Only. However, if you have a brand tool preference, it may be worth looking into that range for a detail sander. Once you've sanded the damage off, I suggest using a vacuum cleaner to remove all the remaining dust and debris.

You can then mask off the areas that need to be covered off with masking tape. When choosing paint make sure that it is either for interior or exterior use. Please make sure to plan out the sequence of repairs so that the bare wood of the window frames will be minimally exposed to the weather.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint timber window frames

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. Is there any way to smooth it out so there isn’t a groove against the window? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MichaelKuen

If you feel that a channel has formed, I suggest using Earl's 600g White MulTfill Ready To Use Filler to level the channel. I recommend using the Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to give you a nice flat finish. Please make sure to give the filler enough time to cure before giving it a final pass with the detail sander.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects