Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Attachment for gas heater bayonet?

jillofskills
Getting Established

Attachment for gas heater bayonet?

I just purchased a second hand RInnai convector 417 gas heater but when I brought it home to hook it up, found that the bayonet opening was the same size as the connection on the hose (meaning the hose is too big or the bayonet is too small).  Is there an attachment I can buy for either the hose or the bayonet itself? 
Thanks in advance. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: gas heater

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jillofskills. It's great to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

My first instinct is to encourage you to call a licensed professional to make sure the heater is safe to use as well as getting it safely connected. EnergySafe Victoria recommends having heaters serviced every two years. I will also ask @MitchellMc to add his thoughts when he is back online tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jillofskills,

Gas heater bayonets are now a standardized size. However, it sounds like you might have the older, smaller bayonet installed in the property. You'll need to have a licensed professional install the correct sized bayonet for you to use your heater. I am not aware of any conversion attachments, as connecting hoses or adding attachments creates additional leak risks and is generally discouraged.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hey thanks Michael!

I took the heater outside to the bbq bayonet outside and it “fit” so I had another go. Turns out this “Jill of all skills” lacked man power muscles. I think it hadn’t been used in a while and was a bit stuck. So I used all my god given strength and a lot of oomph and it slowly but surely went in! Back to the gym I think.... 

I tested it with detergent (and a lighter 😬) and it’s a-ok. My house is now really really hot. Yay!

thanks for replying! I just discovered this forum. Love it. My son calls Bunnings “mums Disneyland”. Ha! He refuses to come with me because - trapped. 

I'm very pleased to hear you sorted out the issue @jillofskills

Please reach out anytime you need assistance around the home or garden, or if you'd like to share a project you are working on.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects