Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best kit for DIY Mum & Daughter team

KC
Finding My Feet

Best kit for DIY Mum & Daughter team

My Mum and I are tackling some reno’s on cute 70’s duplex pair (with pro help) but are very keen to do a fair bit of DIY in home & garden where we can.

Our kit is pretty limited - so we’re after advice on what to spend $$ on?

The 🏠 are typical of the era - brick & tile, some internal walls lined, others exposed brick (which I love!), concrete slab floor (which I also love and have recently had polished and sealed). Apart from freshening up bathrooms and kitchens - we need the basics for general household maintenance.

Thoughts please? 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Best kit for DIY Mum & Daughter team

Hi @KC,
The key to establishing a good home kit of tools, whether it is for personal DIY or Reno's is to not spend money on tools that will be only used once or twice and investing in tools of a good quality which will get lots of use. In saying that I would buy to suit your needs.
Initially I would get a 12v Drill Driver, Ryobi has a good quality unit, you will utilise it all the time. Secondary to a drill I would be looking at a sander (also battery powered), this will allow you to quickly patch and repair any defects in timber work and walls before repainting.
After a sander I would be looking at a circular saw, since you would already have the battery from the drill/sander I would strongly consider a battery powered saw. Lithium Battery technology has come a long way these days and If you are setting out a kit I would stick to one brand.
With a drill, sander and saw there is plenty to do, I would then buy only items which will return on your investment.
That's a brief IMO any other questions feel free to ask.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @KC. What an exciting time for you. We're really looking forward to reading more about your project and seeing some photos. 

I'm sure members will be happy to suggest some essential tools for you. You might also find these previous discussions helpful for getting started:

Thanks again for joining in the discussion on Workshop.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hi @KC,

A picture may tell a thousand words. There are many experts on this site, if we could get a few pictures of the different areas and a list of your goals you wish to achieve, you will find the answers will flow more readily.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects