Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best sandpaper for sanding trims and skirting boards?

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Best sandpaper for sanding trims and skirting boards?

I got myself Ryobi 300W Multi Tool / Articulating Head (63x63mm) and Ryobi Random Orbital Sander 300W (125mm) to remove several coats of 20 years of paint from trims and skirting boards (wood). What is the best sandpaper (80 & 120 grit) for each tool?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sandpaper

Hello @Nanne

Thanks for sharing the details of the project you're about to undertake. I recommend using 80 grit to start with, this should deeply cut into the paint and get you to the timber in no time. Your goal is to reach the timber surface but not stay too long in one spot where the paint has already been removed. Once you've exposed the timber, you can then proceed to use 120 grit to remove any paint shadows that are still present. 

I suggest finishing off with 240 grit and a final detail sand of 320 grit before you start painting. Make sure to use UNi-PRO 18 x 36" Painters Tack Cloth as a final wipedown cloth before putting the primer on.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your trims and skirting boards ready for painting.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Best sandpaper for sanding trims and skirting boards?

Hi @Nanne,

As @EricL alluded to in his reply, have a go with 40 grit for a start in a place that won't be noticeable, if this seems too rough, try 60 grit paper, in the same area.

Personally, I would use a sander for this not one of them multi-tools, while they have their uses, this isn't one of them.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects