Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bright idea for lighting up the roof cavity

kel
Making a Splash

Bright idea for lighting up the roof cavity

Recently I helped a mate install insulation in the roof cavity of his garage. Knowing that we would need a light source  and not wanting to run an extension cord I bought the Ozito 18 v  work light, which was brilliant.well the following week we decided to install insulation in the roof of my garage.which , unlike my mates garage which has the manhole situated there, my manhole is situated on the other side of the house which would mean I would require more lighting.fortunately I do have a PowerPoint in the roof cavity so I thought about installing a plug-in Fluro but Bunnings were out of stock so I came up with the idea of using those party string lights. 30 metres tied to the rafters ,now the whole cavity can be lit up. Made the job so much easier. Plus now whenever I need to get up into the roof cavity I have light. If you haven’t got a PowerPoint up there you could use solar lights to do the same thing , just a thought

cheers kel

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: bright idea

I'm keen to see what that looks like, @kel. Are you able to stick a camera up there and take a photo for us? It sounds like a great solution to an issue most of us would face.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Her are couple pics

B94647F9-98B0-45E3-B44E-B4403F905A6F.jpeg

5F56997F-F009-4450-A1BE-EF311381D990.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kel

I was reading this post yesterday and was curious to see how much space there was in the ceiling. Your idea of putting on LED lights is brilliant. Now you've got service lighting whenever you need it. It certainly beats bringing a work light and long extension cords. This idea will definitely go into my favorites folder. If you have any other projects on the go please make sure to share them. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you for sharing such a great idea.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, a rope light! For some reason, I was thinking festoon lights @kel

That's perfect, and I can imagine it provides just enough light to navigate around easily.

Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects