Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I change this downlight?

Sugar
Having an Impact

Can I change this downlight?

Hi folks

I would like to change this light to modern Down lights. Is it possible?? Will I need to have AC to DC converter module to power each downlights?

received_513086069922315.jpeg

 What kind of lights will be good to replace above lights. They don't look good at all. 

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I change this downlight?

Hi @Sugar,

Let me tag a couple of experienced electricians in @MikeTNZ and @bruce93 to let you know how much work is involved from a licensed sparky to update the lights. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @Sugar,

How many of these fittings do you have?, they look like someone has stuffed a normal incandescent lamp in a downlight fitting.

If you were looking at upgrading your lighting, I would suggest you go with LED.

Bear in mind that you will need a qualified electrician to do this, talk with your electrician as to your options, this is not something you can do yourself.

Dealing with bulbs and the like is not something we do these days, fit LED's and they last upwards of 10 years.

Regards,

Mike T.

Sugar
Having an Impact

@MikeTNZ I am planning to change all these lights in my house, approx. 15-20.  I  should definitely go with LED and this is my whole plan. Since this looks like old-fashioned, I am not sure if this can be converted to LED Downlight or can be replaced with downlight. 

I came up with this one while researching: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081HW8D98/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B081HW8D98&pd_rd_w=oEtSU&pf_...

I am contacting a few electricians for their opinion, anyway. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sugar

Thank you for sharing your question about changing your downlights.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @MikeTNZ. Engaging the services of a registered electrician is the best way to do it. This is one of the best upgrades you can do for your house. Changing traditional down lights to an LED system gives you so many benefits. It consumes less power to operate, generates very minimal heat, and has a much longer life span than ordinary incandescent bulbs.

I recommend using Arlec 9W tri-color Dimmable LED Downlights with Plug Bases - 5 Pack. These units are rated at 9W, Tri-Colour Dimmable, and have a modern cutout radius of 92mm. These units can be purchased separately if you wish to add more to the set. Please keep us updated, I'm sure our members are keen to see the LED set installed.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Sugar
Having an Impact

@EricL  Thank you for sending me the link. It helped me to buy that particular item from bunnings without wasting any time. I have already bought that item and expecting to do it once lockdown is over in QLD. Appreciate your help. 

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@Sugar Your existing downlights were popular in the '70s and are roughly 150mm diameter with a 110mm cutout in the plaster ceiling.   

Typical 9 or 10 watt LED downlights fit a 90mm cutout, and are 110mm diameter.  Which means that the LED downlight will go straight through the opening!  There is a solution though - you need to fit a conversion plate in each hole and clip the downlight into that.  ($11 per light)
 https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-130mm-white-downlight-extension-plate_p4390437 

The show stopper for you will almost certainly be that each light is hardwired (ie: permanently connected).  You MUST hire an licensed electrician to remove each light fitting and replace it with a plug base similar to this.  ($3.22 per light)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-10a-miniature-plug-base_p4430736 

New DIY downlights can then plug in to these new plug bases.

The Bottom LIne 🙄
With the cost of all the hardware added up, plus the cost of an electrician the project is going to be quite costly.
My suggestion would be to buy a pack of these 13 watt LED bulbs instead and screw them into your existing fittings. 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-13w-a60-es-led-cool-daylight-a-shape-globe-3-pack_p0122058 
They pump out 1450 lumens and are about twice as bright as the downlights that @EricL recommended
Cost only $7.33 per light without any other outlay. If that works for you buy more.  

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

FYI: Just for interest sake I have posted a couple of photos of a common '70s downlight (it's actually new, never used). Its probably the same as your except it's polished brass.
Downlight_01.jpgDownlight_02.jpg

Sugar
Having an Impact

@Walzz Thank you for the information. 

However, I did change 17 of those lights to LED downlights. Now my house looks brighter and has modern lights. 

I also installed 2 of these wifi lights. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mirabella-9w-750lm-rgbw-ip44-1-2m-flex-plug-genio-smart-wi-fi-dimmable-d...

One in the living room and one in my bedroom. It is very convenient for us to change the brightness. With less than 500 AUD, I am having a brighter house with low-power LED lights. @EricL  @MikeTNZ @Jason This is my final outcome. Thanks to you all. 

235728559_2872863932934232_5767443507384027496_n.jpgWifi lightWifi light 

One project is done and dusted. 

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@SugarCongrats on finishing the project. 
The Mirrabella WiFi lights look neat, and a steal at only 25 bucks per light. I read they can be integrated with Alexa/ Google etc for hands free voice control. I may buy a couple myself and have a play with them.
An added advantage of the new lights is that they provide an airtight seal with the ceiling, eliminating drafts and heat loss in winter.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fantastic result. Thanks for sharing @Sugar.

Look forward to hearing about any other projects you have planned around the house and garden.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects