Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Clear coat on Abaca (Banana Leaf) Furniture

tiger99
Finding My Feet

Clear coat on Abaca (Banana Leaf) Furniture

Hi All,

I need to recoat (clear) an undercover lounge setting. The material is known as Abaca, also known as banana leaf. I’ve spoken to Dulux who are unable to recommend any of their products as they reckon that any coating would just sit on the surface and not absorb into the leaf, with the coat potentially cracking over time. Has anyone out there had to do this job, what did you use and what are the long term results.

For clarity, the material is the same as the one in my upload.

Thanks,

Peteabaca.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Clear coat on Abaca (Banana Leaf) Furniture

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tiger99. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've spoken to White Knight and they have recommended White Knight Squirts 310g Spray Paint - Gloss Clear. They have also specified that you'll most likely need to touch it up from time to time. I would think it unlikely that you'll find a coating that a manufacturer would recommend due to it not being a solid substrate.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for your prompt reply and looking into this for me. It looks like it would fit the bill, however I've got a Three seater lounge, 2 single armchairs and a coffee table to do. I fear the paint bill would run into the hundreds to double coat them all. I bought a Wagner sprayer from you guys for the application and was really hoping I could find a bulk product to coat it with. The sprayer can deal with oil or water bases. Any other ideas?

Peter

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Pete (@tiger99), 

I'm still not having much luck. It has to do with applying products designed for solid substrates onto flexible natural materials. No manufacturer I've spoken to can guarantee that their product will not crack and fail. That's not to say it won't work, just that they haven't done tests under those circumstances. Understandably they would be hesitant to recommend their product if there was a chance it could ruin your furniture.

I'm noticing several references online to using linseed oil on wicker furniture to protect it. Perhaps this is a more appropriate choice of coating for your furniture?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell will look into it 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects