Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Curtain Rail Disaster

MelissaM1
Finding My Feet

Curtain Rail Disaster

Hi,

I am in a rental, and gained permission to hang curtains and remove the revolting verticals. Recent surgery prevented me from doing it myself, my niece assured me she had it down pat.Failing to use brackets supplied with rails.

Dilemma ; she hadnt a clue, actually, i now need to repair wall, and rehang rails in correct position.

Ive worked with pallets, painted, built lots of things, but never hung curtains. Could someone please give me some easy instructions, and repair tips.

Thanks so much. 

15701510924708707469997862057523.jpg

15701511398225844734718423268049.jpg

  

15701511711584500818010123530682.jpg

Melissa Sheridan
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Curtain Rail Disaster

Hi @MelissaM1,

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our amazing members. And we look forward to seeing what a little bit of guidance can help you achieve. 

Have you seen the Bunnings D.I.Y. Advice about how to install curtain rods and how to hang curtains? They should be a good starting point. Then you could come back and ask more specific questions about what you need help with? It would also be good if you could let us know what is the material that was drilled into for the first "curtain rail disaster". Is it brick?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Jason. Yes, its plaster over brick.

Melissa Sheridan

Thanks again Jason.

Here are my issues.

Its plaster over brick wall, about 30mm plaster.

Aluminium windows, no acrcatrave, set directly into wall.

So i need to patch holes,  which screws would be best, and im assuming i need a masonry bit.? I'll be placing brackets above and offset from existing window frame.

I also want to run a lace privacy curtain set into the existing recess,just an eyelet onto a hook with curtain wire.  

15701559712247635908872714054720.jpg

Melissa Sheridan

Hi,
I am also doing the curtain for my windows.
Bought curtain rods and removed my old one. Now I have to drill holes into the wall above my window. To do this, i got a stud finder to check the studs inside the wall (plaster). But my question is , can i drill screws into my studs?? or should i always drill them in the gaps around the studs?.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

REgards
Raghu

Pre-drill the brick and then insert a wall plug to screw into. The ones below I find are easiest to use - just don’t wiggle the drill around when you drill or the hole will be too big and the plug will be loose.

Something like this will do the job:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stahl-7mm-drill-bit-with-25mm-wall-plugs-masonry-fastening-kit_p2260388

I like the green size - not too big, not too small.

Also make sure you mark out the holes level on both sides of the window or your curtains will be skewed.

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Anthonygus.

I'm sure @MelissaM1 and @anjanar appreciate it. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reading all about your own projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Anthonygus,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will get the wall anchor screws today. 

However, in the mean while i drilled a screw directly into the wall and obviously, it didn't work. So will resume soon with your advice. 

Have a nice day.

Cheers

Raghu

I must admit I haven't tried them yet - but they look interesting. Universal expanding wall anchor...(from Bunnings).

20191008_095417.jpg

How did you go with your curtains @MelissaM1 and @anjanar?

If you still need assistance, we have a new video that might be helpful - How to hang sheer curtains.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects