Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

n860cr
Growing in Experience

DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

I'm looking to pickup up a whole lot of these DETA smart switches (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-smart-switch-mechanism_p0346912) as they don't need a neutral wire (and the old part of my house doesn't have one). The hallway has a 3 way switch (one switch at either end) and I'm looking to see if anyone knows if these switches are compatible? I know other Grid Connect switches don't support 3 way switching. 

The flickering issue is real and annoying.... however I've gotten around it by using one Grid Connect candle globe in the 5 globe chandelier. The WIFI component of the globe must be enough to stop the LED flicker. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

Hi @n860cr

Thank you for sharing that question about the DETA smart switch. I've just been in contact with DETA's technical department and they've informed me that it should work in that scenario where there are two switches at either end of the hall. But in the interest of safety, I always recommend getting a registered electrician to install it.

Here is a link to DETA's automation guide: Multi-way switching via automation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
n860cr
Growing in Experience

Had an electrician come and try this but they couldn't figure it out. Apparently the wiring diagrams in the instructions are pretty poor. Does Deta have a wiring diagram for 3 way switching? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @n860cr

Thanks for sharing that question about the three-way switch. Would you mind posting a picture of the wiring diagram instructions that you have? It will give our members a chance to have a look and assess it. I'll also be contacting DETA to see if they have any other diagrams for the Smart Switch Mechanism. As soon as I have more information, I'll let you know.

Eric

n860cr
Growing in Experience

49E540E4-7985-4D17-B5A7-806AE06C8BE0.jpeg

Thanks Eric. That’s all that comes with the switch. It’s fairly limited in detail.  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you able to assist with this one @CSParnell?

Jason

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @n860cr 

It is correct that the Deta 1 to 6 gang switches cannot be used as 3 way (intermediate), I have not had the ability to install and test the Deta switch mechanism to see how the software side can be operated but in terms of standard switching a 2 way switch requires 3 wires and a 3 way switch (intermediate) requires 4 wires so with the switch mech only having the ability for 2 wire connection it makes me think any switching for a 3 way would come down to software automation. 

I will see what I can find.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @n860cr 

As my train of thought it is confirmed by the following video for another product but it will be the same.

Skip ahead to 10min for the automation example.

https://youtu.be/W2pcYp2pPWA

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @n860cr

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the wall switch you are replacing or connecting to? Can I also ask for a photo of the hallway to give our members a better idea of the setup you are trying to accomplish?  

Let me call on our experienced member @MikeTNZ for his recommendation.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @n860cr

I've been in contact with the DETA technical department and I'm so sorry, but they only provide the basic wiring diagram in the booklet that you have. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects