Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Desk using storage cubes

td81
Finding My Feet

DIY Desk using storage cubes

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a desk for the office here as I can't seem to find anything suitable other than in IKEA (and the the $300 delivery cost is a bit of a turn off).  Taking inspiration from this (from Bunnings site) : 

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 7.55.16 pm.png

Looking to use this as the top - https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032

And these 1x2 cubes on either side rather than 2x2 - https://www.bunnings.com.au/flexi-storage-clever-cube-410-x-760-x-390mm-1-x-2-storage-unit-white_p25...

Probably looking to cut the depth of the top back to 500mm.  Thinking approx. 30mm overhang at the front which means there will be a bit of overhang at the back. Not really sure if that will be too much of an eyesore.

The main thing I'm wondering is will I need some kind of support for the middle of the desktop as there will be 1380mm between each set of cubes.  How tough is that hardwood top? Will it bow over time? There won't be anything too weighty on the desk other than computer monitor, laptop etc. Will some some kind of brackets attached to the cube and desktop be enough? Or will I need to run a length of timber/steel support? 

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Desk using storage cubes

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @td81. It's great to have you join us.

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. Even though that Acacia panel is reasonably thick at 26mm it might bow slightly over time. I would advise screwing through the underside of the storage units top pieces and into the panel. Make sure to use screws that are short enough that they don't poke through the surface of the desk.

It would also be worth considering installing just a single bracket in the middle of the 1380mm span. You won't need a large intrusive bracket, just something that will provide additional support. The bracket can be fixed to the wall with Ramset Wallmate Twist N Lock 4 Pack.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc - I was hoping to avoid having it supported from the wall if possible, just so it can be easily moved if needed. 

Would a furniture leg (are there adjustable ones) work? Maybe a length of melamine that covers the entire length (attached to the back of the cubes) and approx 100mm heigh. The storage cubes will have the cupboard/drawer inserts so it won't be visible behind the cubes. I was thinking I could also attach some cable ducting to the back of the melamine brace.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@td81,

There are adjustable table legs, though I'm struggling to find one that will suit the 760mm you need. There is the Adoored 76 x 710mm Brushed Nickel Adjustable Table Leg but the max adjustable height is still only 750mm. One of these Whites On-Site 100 x 12.5mm Rubber Anti Vibration Mat 4 Pack cut to size and placed under the leg would make up the additional 10mm.

What if you were to take the 100mm that you are slicing of the panel to reduce it to 500mm and fix that to the back instead of the melamine?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects