Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY training options in Sydney?

iandavies5
Finding My Feet

DIY training options in Sydney?

Hi all, my first post in the workshop. I am in the process of having a house built and expect a number of jobs to be be left to myself once I get the keys, e.g. decking and outside tiling.
I have tried these in the past with varying degrees of success and wanted to start on the new house with more confidence that I can do these types of jobs myself. 
I wanted to ask if there are any courses that people would recommend for people who are not looking to becoming certified in these types of trades, simply learn some tips of the trades to improve the outcomes. I am Sydney based.

Thanks

Ian

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Training

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @iandavies5. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about learning D.I.Y. skills.

You're looking to gain skills in a vast area, and not one course will cover decking and tiling, let alone all the other skills you're likely looking for. 

We have over 1200 instructional videos on our Youtube channel covering everything from How to install modular decking to How to lay floor tiles and everything in between. On the D.I.Y. Advice section of our webpage, we have many step-by-step How-To articles covering just about everything you'd need to know. Also, check out the How-To section on the community for many more great projects to build.

Our members are always keen to assist with projects and pass on any advice they can. Our team are also here to assist anytime you need. Sometimes it's just a matter of watching loads of tutorial videos, asking for advice and giving a project a crack. Many of our members had very little in the way of D.I.Y. skills when they began and now have completed some amazing projects, including decks. Check out this inspirational article on How to build your D.I.Y. confidence.

If you're looking for courses, it would likely be best to contact your local TAFE or community college and see what's available. I've seen home improvement courses come up from time to time, and the more interest they get in them, the more they'll run.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: DIY Training

Thanks Mitchell. I guess at this time I am looking to find any sources of information that might help. I will check out the local TAFE. Much appreciate the advise.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects