Workshop
Ask a question

How to add damp proof course to fix rising damp?

bhushan154
Finding My Feet

How to add damp proof course to fix rising damp?

I am in the process of renovating and have access. to the subfloor area. The room has rising damp issues (double brick house). Subfloor was poorly ventilated so I have added subfloor ventilation. 

I also found this product for a damp proof course cream. 

https://www.1800techdry.com.au/how-to-fix-rising-damp/cream-damp-proof-course

Do. these products work? Is there an equivalent alternative available in Bunnings? Anything else I should consider to fix rising damp issues while I have access to the subfloor.

Thank you,

Bhushan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Damp proof course

Hi @bhushan154,

If the product works as stated, and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't, then it would effectively create a dampcourse line. However, you should already have a dampcourse line up a few rows of bricks from the bottom. If that has been breached or was never installed in the first place, this product could help. If you have a dampcourse line, then installing a second one wouldn't resolve any issue. A dampcourse line is simply a product like plastic sheeting within the bricks mortar line that stops water from being wicked up from the ground into the structure through capillary action.

When you say you have rising damp issues, is that dampness rising up through the bricks or a generally damp environment under the house? The product mentioned specifically solves an issue with dampness rising through the bricks, and I'm unaware of any similar products.

Apart from ventilating the space, it's important to determine where the dampness is coming from. Perhaps drainage could be added around your structure's walls to prevent water from seeping under the floored area in the first place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc. it's a very old building. I had a professional rising damp company come in and take a look and they said the existing damp course in the brick work is probably too old and has run its course. They checked the moisture on the walls and they were close to 80 and 90 in certain spots. See photos attached. 

1000012624.jpg

1000012623.jpg

Their recommended solution was the DPC cream. I could DIY it if I can get the cream but they do not ship to VIC.

Looks like my place @bhushan154.

Has this damage occurred recently, or is it a long-standing issue? 

If you've had the place assessed and they've reported that the dampness is due to the dampcourse having degraded, then that answers the question. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of D.I.Y. products that would suit your needs.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I purchased the property only 2 months ago so unsure. But if I have to guess, it's probably been an issue for a while. 

Thanks for your responses. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to Albury and get it shipped to the NSW VIC border :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects