Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deta Grid Connect PIR network dropouts and resolutions

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Deta Grid Connect PIR network dropouts and resolutions

I have been utilising the Deta Grid Connect PIR sensor for quite a few weeks now and have had an issue 2 times where it disconnects from the network, now I'm sure this happens on other smart devices and is easily resolved without even knowing when say the light switch is turned off but when the PIR is wired in parallel it has constant power to the sensor allowing operation from the sensor or from the switch.

The PIR will operate as a non smart device when no network is present meaning that it still activates lights as per the last settings but no automation or notification will work which in my case the garage door opening won't trigger the lights to come on and it won't send me a notification someone is out the front.

So to fix this is really simple, you just need to go to your electrical switchboard and find your light circuit breakers, turn them off for 5 seconds and then back on. Give it a few minutes and then click on your device and under settings click on network connectivity and do a test. It should connect now.

Screenshot_20220629-123440_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-113954_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-114003_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Deta Grid Connect PIR network dropouts and resolutions

@MitchellMc 

Bugger lol, you have just explained possibly why my grid connect powerboard gets "lost" sometimes. I actually had it replaced by bunnings and still the issue was there. (The other powerboard had no issues located on the opposite wall of the same room.) Since my network provider has stabilised my internet connection it hasnt become lost so easily. Will keep this in mind if it gets lost again :smile:

Dave

Caleb01
Getting Established

Hi,

I have tested this with other access points. I am only using the 2.4 as Grid Connect doesn’t support 5.

I still think there shouldn’t be any way that my Wi-fi should ever cause the Grid Connect device to lock up so it can no longer be paired. 

I think for the purposes of this conversation we should take wifi out of the picture. Let’s just say I don’t have wifi. How do I put my Grid connect device in to pairing mode without having to throw the breaker on the house?

Regards

Caleb

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's the million-dollar question, @Caleb01.  According to the Grid Connect team, you would activate pairing mode the same way you did the first time by holding down the switch for 5-10 seconds. However, that's not working, so we really need them to delve deeper and provide an answer on whether the only other remedy is to cut the power via the breaker. Cutting the power via the breaker is the failsafe to the pairing not working. You wouldn't have to use the failsafe if your devices weren't disconnecting, so I think it's just as important to work out why the devices are disconnecting in the first place. Even if the pairing worked every time by holding the button, it sounds like this is happening so regularly that we'd still need to work out why you must re-pair your devices constantly.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

I contacted Arlec and got the response below. The only conclusion is they were a faulty batch. I have replaced three of them.
I'll update this thread if the new ones die or in three months if they are still working.

(Still not sure how to bill Arlec for the electricians and my bill.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Caleb

---
Hi Caleb,
Thank you for the your email.
Can you please advise if the switches are working properly?

Regards,
Ash
Customer Support Representative (Aus & NZ)

Ph:      +61 (0) 3 9982 5111
Fax:    +61 (0) 3 9982 5199
NZ:      0800 003 329

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Caleb01 

My only suggestion is taking a photo of the replacement receipt or downloading a digital copy if possible. I then recommend keeping a journal to record any faults that might occur during its operation. Should anything happen again, you'll have a list of symptoms that you can show to the  Arlec technical team for trouble shooting.

Eric

Caleb01
Getting Established

I finally got another response from 

techenquiries@arlec.com.au

—-

Hi  Caleb    ,

Thank you for your e-mail.
Have you tried re-pairing again ?
Please put the switch into pairing mode and then pair it again and see if it works.

Please feel free to contact us if you need anything further.

Kind Regards,
Kamil 
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Caleb01 

Yeah my Delta grid powerboards were again lost and I had to re-pair them. One works but the other is dead as a do-do. I went out an bought another one (2 years along now) to see if their app/harfdware work better :smile: Crossing fingers. It dose seem that everytime the app is updated it forgets everything. 

Hope your gets some sort of resolution for you.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Caleb01,

Could you please provide some context around the latest response from Arlec? Are you still troubleshooting issues? Did the new switches exhibit the same issue? Is the assistance being provided by Arlec not adequate? I'm happy to follow up further if there is something I can assist with.

I'm keen to know whether you've continued to have the same issue with the new switches.

Mitchell

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Have you tried switching over to Tuya app or smart home app? 

It's the parent app for all Tuya products including Arlec Grid Connect. 

More control, more integration to other software including Home Assistant.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects