Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do acoustic slat panels really work?

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Do acoustic slat panels really work?

Living in a duplex and shared a common brick wall with a noisy neighbor who like late night music. Saw these acoustic slat and thinking about installing and entire common wall with these.

Anyone with real life experience who could share if they can really reduce noice coming through walls?

Will concrete nail glue be good enough for a permanent solution?

SmartSelect_20240214_162445_Gallery.jpg

thank you

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Do acoustic slat panels really work?

Sorry @Onearmman, could you please clarify whether this common brick wall is internal or external? 

Soundproofing discussions are popular on the community so I'm sure our members will be happy to assist. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Onearmman
Growing in Experience

It is the internal common wall of a duplex

Thanks for the clarification @Onearmman.

Let me tag @EricL for any thoughts he can share on this product. 

You might be interested in the guide How to soundproof your home by @Adam_W.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Onearmman 

The Prempanel 2700 x 600 x 21mm Oak Timber Acoustic Panel is twice the thickness of a regular Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Plasterboard RE. So, the odds are very good that it will reduce the sound coming through. 

I don't have the exact decibel rating for the panel but allow me to make some inquiries and as soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.     

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Onearmman 

I have seen these in the stores and yeah would love to know more so just throwing my hat in as an interested party tho with no knowledge as yet of this soundproofing :smile:

Dave

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Thank you. They look nice and would add values to my place but i am buying its acoustic property and dont want to find out an expensive way. Look forward to your findings.

Cheers,

Derek

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Onearmman,

In answer to your question, yes, these panels do work and reduce sound transmission due to their acoustic properties. However, considering the type of noise you're experiencing is already travelling through a brick wall, I suspect although these panels will help, they might not resolve your issue entirely. Their felt backing will mechanically isolate them from the wall, helping to dampen any sound vibrations travelling through it. 

It's important to understand that these are wall panels with acoustic properties, not an acoustic panel specifically designed to stop sound. In saying that, though, I don't think you are going to find any dedicated acoustic panels that look particularly attractive and certainly not the same as these. 

There will be a noticeable difference in noise transmission once you've installed them, but I just want you to be aware that they are not designed to block all levels of sound entirely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects