Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do your pets sleep indoors?

CathD
Making a Splash

Do your pets sleep indoors?

Pet.jpg

The nights are starting to get colder at our place, which means its time for the annual discussion (fight) about whether the dog can sleep indoors. 

Do your pets sleep indoors? Why or why not? 

Hopefully I'll get some advice that can turn the discussion in my favour at home...

Re: Do your pets sleep indoors?

I believe this answers the question for us.........

20160423_004824.jpg

During the day outside, in the evening right here, at night they choose which of the kid's beds to sleep on.

Yonnee
Having an Impact

We have two cats and an Australian Terrier and live in a council area that has a 24/7 cat curfew. We picked our house design to have the laundry on the opposite side to all of the living areas so that it can be open to the blind side of the property, and the door was changed from a glass slider to a solid core door with a full length glass side light window. I then enclosed half the length of the house along the fence with mesh and shade cloth to create a "cat run", and removed the lower glass panel of the side window for 24hr access. The cats have the whole house and the cat run during the day, while the dog's outside.

After dinner, the dog is let inside for a couple of hours before putting the three pets into the laundry for the night. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

One extreme solution for keeping your pet out of your bed...

13095852_10154807798405961_7961008807469625767_n.jpg

Yes; we have a rescue greyhound. They are real couch potatoes and their coat is too thin to leave them outside. They also have no body fat to insulate them.

I'm with you @CathD. I wouldn't dream of leaving my dogs outside at night, no matter what time of year it is. They are part of our family and make us laugh every day with the antics they get up to.

I've found the problem - it's the interface between the chair and the keyboard!

My two both sleep inside. They sleep in their own beds in the hallway. They are part of our family and are safely tucked up in bed each night.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our dog Humphrey is certainly a big part of our family too @Lyn. In fact, my wife often says that he is my favourite member as he gets such favourable treatment! 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you as part of the community. Please post again soon and let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Our dogs have always slept outside. We've always had medium-large dogs in Curly Retrievers and Labradors so they've always be outdoors/farm dogs and enjoyed their freedom. On exceptionally cold winter nights or when storms roll in we'll tend to put them in the shed with their bedding but rarely do they come in the house. They're tough dogs and have warm coats!

Boat might not sleep inside but he's found a way to keep himself comfortable. :wink:

IMG_7787.jpg

He won't be too impressed when it's time to put new hay in the chicken coop!

Of course she dresses for the occasion:

100_0022.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects