Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does anyone still use wallpaper?

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Does anyone still use wallpaper?

I remember when I was a kid, there used to be plenty of wallpaper shops that I was dragged to with my parents when they were decorating. The shops would have a vast array of huge books of wallpaper, with so many choices. 

These days we seem to go for paint every time. I've had some good results with wallpaper though and wondered if anyone else was a fan?

I mostly renovate old caravans, and so I'm using very small amounts as a feature, rather than a whole room. But it not only gives a nice effect, but also really helps if a caravan wall has a lot of imperfections that will show up even with the vest filling, sanding and painting.IMG_0841.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

The front panel of a Pop TopThe front panel of a Pop Top

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Does anyone still use wallpaper?

Good topic @Peggers, many thanks for kicking it off.

Perhaps @2Belindas and @prettyliving might like to share their thoughts on wallpaper. 

I can understand people having concerns after spending a lot of time trying to remove wallpaper and glue residue when we first moved into our 50s house. It was not fun! However, I have been very impressed at how easy modern wallpaper glue is to use and remove. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NickiM
Having an Impact

@Peggers @Jason I have used wallpaper in a few of my rooms in the house.

It created a great scene setting in my lounge for 4 years when I used log wallpaper, inspired by a trip to Canada. I have recently removed it, with only a few slight sections where the wall paint was removed too. Many people thought the logs were real and touched the wall to confirm. 

562242CA-EDFE-48AF-84A0-1691CAFE3E11.jpeg

3D Log-room lounge

I have created a different atmosphere in my bedroom by using stack stone wallpaper. This has an incredible 3D effect.

image.jpg

 3D Stack Stone wallpaper 

Finally, I used a grey wallpaper on the bottom half of the walls in my toilet, bathroom and laundry. 

image.jpg

Bathroom, Lavatory & Laundry half wall wallpaper. 

While there are a lot of different colours, textures and atmospheres in the wallpapers I have used, each room has a different zone. 

I would recommend wallpaper, especially since these days it is far easier to remove. 

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@NickiM those wallpaper effects are great! Really like the 3D look of the logs and the brickwork. Lots of fun!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects