Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Entry hall drop station and organiser

RainbowDiY
Building a Reputation

Entry hall drop station and organiser

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_3683.jpeg

 I have a very narrow hallway that doesn’t allow for a hall table or cabinet so I decided to make best use of the verticals storage I had. I used Tasmanian Oak for the shelf and to hang bag hooks from. I made a slatt wall in two panels , one above and one below the shelf to prevent bags from scuffing the wall. I went to ikea and got a couple of pegboards and the gold hanging rail with hooks to hang school hats , library bags etc. The pegboard holds keys, sunglasses , masks etc . I painted it with Porters Hampton Blue and finished the timber with Osmo.

IMG_3659.jpeg

It’s been fantastic, the family now have a place for all the bags and bits and bobs you need to leave the house. I don’t loose my keys anymore! And it’s given a nice pop of colour to the hallway! Love the mix of Tasmanian Oak and Hampton Blue!

IMG_3681.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg

Materials

Tasmanian Oak DAR 135x19x 2.4 - verticals bag hanging 

Tasmanian Oak DAR 90x19.1.8 shelf

Porta 42 x 11 x2.7 moulding for the slat wall

zenith 135mm polished brass round robe hook for vertical bag hanging

Shelf Brackets 

Porters paints Hampton Blue

Osmo oil for finishing the treated pine

Tools

Bosch Compound Mitre Saw - however you could use hand saw or circular saw

Ryobi Nail gun

Bosch 12v Drill and Driver

18v Hammer Drill 

Chamfer Plane

Bosch orbital sander 

Measuring Tape

speed Square

Gorilla Glue

Spirit Level

Safety Gear

Steps

Step 1

Cut shelf and Vertical Hanging board to length

Step 2

Figure out the height of and width of your two slat panels. then based on the width of your moulding figure out the best spacing. I did 30mm between each of mine.

cut 6 pieces of 42x11 Porta moulding to the correct width of the slat panels.

cut the correct number of vertical pieces to suit your spacing 

Step 3

Sand Tasmanian oak and put a chamfer on the edges. I sanded all mine first to 180 grit

figure out the placement of your hooks, and pre drill their holes

finish sanding to 240 grit and finish with the finish of your choice

when dry attach hooks

Step 4

Paint all your vertical slats with two coats of your chosen paint.

when dry lay out your three horizontals and then your vertical pieces evenly spaced. 

to make it easier use a scrap piece of timber the width of your spacing to accurately space each slat then glue and attach to the horizontal pieces with a few Brad nails.

Step 5

Patch nail holes

sand lightly when filler is dry and apply final coat of paint.

Step 6

Attach shelf brackets to your wall and then attaché finished shelf to brackets

Step 7

Attach vertical hanging board to your wall with wall plugs to suit your wall. Mine was masonry so I used Ramset. 

Step 8

Fit your top slat wall above the shelf and attach to wall with fixing to suit your wall

Then add the bottom slat wall and fix to wall.

Step 9

Drill holes for pegboard mounts into the wall between the slats and then attach the pegboard .

attache hanging rail and hooks to the bottom slat wall.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Update to Entry Hall Drop Station

Hi @RainbowDiY,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! Thank you for sharing your great entry hall drop station and your D.I.Y. journey. You have created a very functional design for a narrow space and I am LOVING the Hampton Blue colour, it compliments your timber perfectly. Great projects like yours sometimes make it into our Top Ideas articles like 10 ways to refresh your entryway, you may find yours in there one day. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects