Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

External gap between brick and sliding door ..what caulking to use

markmarshall
Getting Established

External gap between brick and sliding door ..what caulking to use

Hi  All

Looking for some advice on how I can address a gap all along one of my sliding doors.

There's a gap on the outside between the brick and the Sliding door, and most certainly must be impacting insulating the home.

On the opposite side of the door it seems to be caulked.

May be due to movement the gap is gotten bigger or I was just blind and didn't pick up the issue. :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Can this be done by DIF, or should engage a pro?

If DIY what type of caulking should be used? 

IMG_3204.JPGIMG_3205.JPGIMG_3206.JPG

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: External gap between brick and sliding door ..what caulking to use

@markmarshall , i would simply rivet a piece of same colour aluminium angle to the frame

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @markmarshall,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @wooshka.

You might like to use a product similar to Selleys 450g No More Gaps Coloured Caulk Gap Filler - Cedar. I would advise first pushing a filler rod firmly into that gap to take up the bulk of the space. If you don't use the rod then you'll be using an excessive amount of gap filler. Once you've filled the gap you can use a wet finger to smooth the filler off and conform it the shape of the bricks.

This would be considered a D.I.Y. job dependant on your level of handiness.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell ..had no clue about the filler rod.

Hey mark, just be careful when using sellies Color caulk as it will slump and run if not done properly or if rain hits it during curing process. 

My advice would be to use sikaflex pro poly. And fill the gap using a open cell backing rod as the bond breaker. Usually that occurres over an articulation joint in your brickwork. So dependent on where you are and when the house was built, you might be required to use a certain product to meet the building code requirements.

Many thanks for joining the discussion and sharing your knowledge and experience @caulkerchris. It sounds like the Bunnings Workshop community could really benefit from your wisdom. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. And let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we could improve Workshop for you.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects