Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fascia repair

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Fascia repair

Incase somebody also has some damaged fascia - Dont be scared to "have a go" at replacing it yourself, the jobs not real hard I woke up this morning and noticed some fascia was rotted from a old roof leak (the roof was fixed long ago) so replaced a section of fascia in about 1.5hours (including removing gutters and waiting on paint to dry and having to run to the local hardware store - the fascia section cost me $15)

Tools used were some pliers to bend away the gutter brackets (so i could remove the guttering right out of the way) I used a reciprocating saw + multitool with plunge cut blade to cut away the section of fascia I wanted to replace, and a drill to predrill the new fascia section and a impact driver to screw it all up and a new lick of paint.20211024_081750.jpg20211024_084717.jpg20211024_093008.jpg20211024_093558.jpg20211024_103602.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fascia repair

That looks fabulous, @Prawns! Well done.

I'm just musing, and I'm not suggesting it's the case here, but isn't it interesting how relatively easy projects like these that maintain our homes' integrity are often waylaid by more aesthetically pleasing and less important alternatives like renovations. Will I paint that wall that looks like it could do with a refresh or fix the hole in the side of my house? I bet most people would paint the wall. I presume a simple risk versus reward equation heavily influences our choice. If it's not evident that the more critical task is readily achievable, then it's not worth the potential risk of failing, and we'll happily choose the one of lesser importance but with guaranteed success. Dopamine is an incredible influencer. This is coming from someone who has been painting walls whilst there are holes in the side of my house.

Sorry, a bit of a tangent, but I bet you are feeling really satisfied that the hole is fixed. 

Many thanks for sharing and a good reminder of what can be achieved if you have a go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Fascia repair

Yeah I walked out this morning to feed my fish and noticed a long bit of rotted wood splinter on the lawn, then looked up and noticed a small bit of damage to the fascia so after i finished having a mini heart attack (lol kiddin) I grabbed the ladder and made the damage alot worse while feeling how far the rott went and snapping more off hahaha. I think the recent storms must of shown the issue but I was in a panic to get it fixed as it looked like more rain and wind was on its way this morning lols (thankfully it didnt rain :smile: )  I cut back alot further than the rott went to be sure i got it all cut out :smile: 

I agree you definatly gotta prioritise your repairs/renovations I reckon, some things can wait - some stuff (like the fascia) really cant wait else it could get really really expensive and a much bigger repair later if water gets in the ceilings and the ceilings fall in/electrical issues etc I guess worst case

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects