Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Finding the right flyscreen

KatieCraig
Finding My Feet

Finding the right flyscreen

My sister's dog has destroyed my fly screens front and back, all is good it can be replaced.

But I have decided it's time to upgrade to something a bit more protective.

My last property had a really thick one, no dog (No matter how much they tried 😉) couldn't damage it and it didn't move at all.

I haven't seen one like this since, but I'm wondering if someone could help me find an idea on what could achieve the same affect. Essentially I'd like it to be an additional security feature, but I'm okay if it just looks that way.

Picture of the one I want below.

One is the way it looks in photos, the other is a shot of something else but I cropped so you can see what I'm after.

TIA

20200324_073954.jpg

20200324_073750.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Finding the right flyscreen

Hi @KatieCraig,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our amazing members. 

I shall tag the wonderful @Tara86 to see if she can kick off this conversion for you as I know she has been busy recently replacing some of her flyscreens. 

Can I please ask what problem you are trying to solve? Is it security from unwanted guests (a security screen) or just a tougher flyscreen so the dog cannot damage it? 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Hi @KatieCraig so your after a stronger, pet proof type flyscreen? There are a few options available that are designed for additional strength, plus ones that accommodate family pets. Some are made using stainless steel, or heavy gauge polyester.
Cyclone have a few options available, but you might find their Petmesh range more suitable. I have included a link below for their Petmesh Insect screen it’s stronger and more durable than normal flyscreen. Able to withstand pets clawing (or kids who like to poke holes through the mesh).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-1220mm-x-2-05m-petmesh-insect-screen_p4110397 

Hope this helps. If you need anything else feel free to ask ☺️

David64
Getting Established

we had security mesh fittted to our doors 

it seem to be the only way to stop our dog from going through it.

Our dog weighs 75kgs and we are confident he wont get out.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Guys If the issue is only the dog. In my last house we had the same problem with our lab and our back slider. I ended up going to the second hand place and buying an old security door $20  and using the aluminium grill I cut it down to make an insert for the bottom half. If you dismantle the original door it will slide in the edge. Best way to cut aluminium grill is with tin snips,  the angle grinder tends to melt it. This allowed us to keep the view out the top while strengthening the bottom and giving the dog a visual cue. Given you have normal swinging doors I would suggest checking a secondhand materials place for a cheap replacement security door. If wanting to keep existing door ld go stainless gauze or security mesh (aluminium perforated sheet) security against 4 and 2 legged  but I'm not sure if that means taking doors to door window place.

James 

KatieCraig
Finding My Feet

Thank you everyone so very much, sorry, I just found out my son has been playing with all of my notifications! 

So we're looking for some security or at least the look of it would be nice.

The petmesh I was concerned that it doesn't seem to look like it has any strength behind it, I could be wrong. I have 2 cats, a mastiff that stands over 5ft (so he's gotten pretty much most of the door), one cat has thought my door looks like an excercise gym 🙄.

Is there a possibility someone could please explain to me what the difference is? I have to admit these things aren't my expertise and I've been trying to research it, which is making me feel even dumber 😂. Trying to find stuff outside of Bunnings at the moment is also not possible due to the need of isolating as much as possible.

I really want to say thank you again though!

No worries. Let me know if you ever need a hand with your notification settings and/or getting the most from the Workshop site @KatieCraig.

Let me tag the ever-helpful @MitchellMc to ask for his input on this discussion.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KatieCraig.

Welcome to the Workshop community and thanks for your question. I see helpful community members have already given some great advice. I’m happy to help provide some more information.  

Fibreglass insect screens are ideal for general purpose applications. They are a great budget option but only provide minimal resistance to pet damage or intruders.

Aluminium fly screens have extra strength aluminium mesh. They offer more resistance to pet damage than Fibreglass screen, but do not provide significant intruder protection.

Petmesh insect screens are six times stronger than standard fibreglass screens. They are ideal where a pet's claws are a problem as they use flexible yet heavy-gauge polyester screening that is resistant to tearing, but don’t assist with intruder protection.

I would advise you to consider a Stainless steel insect screen. It features marine grade stainless steel, is corrosion-resistant for coastal areas and has ember protection making it also suitable for bushfire-prone regions. The screen is black powder-coated to minimise glare but still has excellent visibility. Due to the stainless steel being significantly stronger than the previous screens mentioned, it does provide some protection from intrusion.

An even stronger option is a Bronze insect screen. Bronze offers greater strength and durability than all other options as it is suited to the most demanding conditions. It will also provide a significant deterrent for intruders.

I hope this helps in clarifying some of the differences between the various door mesh options. If you have any further questions or need further advice, please feel free to ask.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects