Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fireplace Hearth - extension

currlz
Just Starting Out

Fireplace Hearth - extension

IMG_20210808_193518~2.jpg

Have an old Californian bungalow, we exposed an old brick fireplace. The bricklayer came and fixed it all up and rebuilt the back. I am planning on putting a small wood stove in the area. I have  ripped out the old tile and levelled off with a concrete area to the same level of the floor boards as shown. I want to extend the hearth and tile it. I have checked the specifications of the wood stove, it just requires a non combustible material for the hearth , no minimal thickness or R value. For the wood stove, I need to extend our existing area considerably. What is my best option to tile this area, can I use a concrete board ? I wasn't sure about attaching it to the concrete existing area ? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fireplace Hearth - extension

Sounds like a fantastic project, many thanks for sharing @currlz. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL as well as helpful member like @tom_builds and @TedBear will be happy to share their thoughts on how they would tackle the job.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to have you join us and look forward to reading about other projects and plans you have for the house and garden. Californian Bungalows are such wonderful houses. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @currlz,,

Good work on restoring the old fireplace, too many of them end up getting bricked over in my opinion.

If it were me I'd go for a fibre cement sheet base over which you can then tile. I'd aim to glue and nail it onto your existing floor with clouts for the timber, and concrete nails with a wide head or washer for the slab (although with the weight of tiles and heater you probably don't need to nail into the concrete if you don't want to)

Best of luck with your project! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @currlz

Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the fireplace hearth extension.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @tom_builds. I totally agree with his recommendation to use Fibre Cement Sheeting as a base for the tiles. It looks like you have regular timber floorboards. I suggest using Fibre Cement Nails to fix it on your floor. You can also use Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails to glue the panel onto the floor. This adhesive is excellent for masonry to timber adhesion. Please double-check the required area requested by the manufacturer to make sure you're within its specified safety zone. It sounds like a very interesting project, any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects