Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating shelves

mazasonic
Getting Established

Floating shelves

Wanted to make our study room just like the below with floating shelves and table but no idea where to start. Never done any DIY before so an advice or tips are really appreciated. Could I buy these from bunnings? I had a look before and the one I'm seeing are all quite short. 
f4153a458f1eb19627545526c651fede.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Floating Shelves

@mazasonicrecommended thickness is between 22.5mm and 37mm, you can use thicker but that adds to the weight.

Brackets are 125mm so 130mm wide minimum will cover that.

Bunnies can cover that in pine off the shelf, Tas Oak if you are willing to laminate pieces and Meranti is no longer on the web but is available instore so I am not sure on sizes from memory. Handy Panel could be another option as there are some options in 26mm but they are 300 or 610mm wide.

This is exactly what I am trying to achieve, except the shelves will go into a "nook". 2 walls (back.ans left) are brick 1 (rogjt) gyprock. The shelves will have to be 52x54 cms. 

Would you be able to explain your note "Did a glued mitre down the log side and attached to 40 x 18 pine." in more detail please? First time diy-er here. Cheers! 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @firstTimeDIY. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

I'm sure @MikeyAllcock will chime in if necessary, but I've taken some time to create a few renderings for you on how to create the shelves mitre joint they've used. The mitre joint gives a much nicer finish to the edge instead of a functional butt joint. You'll need a circular saw, clamps and a straight edge. It would be best to do the mitre cut on a table saw, but with attention to detail, it can be done with a mitre saw. It would likely be best to use small brackets on the inside of the joint to reinforce it. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could do a double mitre, so it appears even from below that it's one thick and solid piece of timber. For the double mitre version, you'll need a timber spacer block, as you won't be able to fit reinforcement brackets.

Remember your PPE when cutting timber, including a dust mask and safety glasses.

Please have a look at the renderings and let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Shelf.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects