Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect motion sensor software issues

ericd3nholm
Finding My Feet

Grid Connect motion sensor software issues

Hi there,

I have recently got the sensor pack from bunnings (incl. the hub, door sensor, climate sensor etc.). All works good.

What I have discovered, however, is that the Grid Connect software only seems to deal with automations that are 'triggered' by a sensor, as though it were a button, rather than a recognition of its current status.
For example, our bedroom heater is set to only turn on if below 18 degrees, between the hours of 10pm – 7am, while a separate automation will turn it off if the temperature is above 22 degrees. All works well. If I then wanted to add in a condition that only turns the heater on if the bedroom door is closed, it won't actually turn on the heater unless I close the door after the scheduled operation hours of 10pm (and presuming the temp is below 18 degrees). So if I close the door at 8pm, for instance, the 'closed' status is not recognised as it doesn't trigger the automation in the scheduled period.
...can live with that, I suppose.

The real problem comes in with the motion sensor. We've got one to turn on an under-bench light for cooking in the kitchen. An automation then turns if off after 5 minutes after detecting no motion. The issue is if you are in the kitchen for a half an hour or so preparing dinner, it will detect multiple 'motions' (of course) but then try and turn on while it is evidently activating a no motion detection from 5 minutes ago, so turns on and off randomly in quick succession. Putting in larger delay, say 30 mins, would still be a problem as the kitchen is frequented throughout the day.
If there was an option in the Automation to 'deactivate' the motion sensor while the light is on, that would fix it (I think). Alas, that doesn't seem to exist.

Anyone experienced this and have any solutions?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grid Connect motion sensor software issues

Hello @ericd3nholm

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about your Grid Connect motion sensor software issues.

I'm sorry to hear that the motion sensor is giving you this particular issue. Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the current location of the sensor and indicate which model it is? I can then make the appropriate inquiry to our provider and find out if this particular scenario has a solution. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

photos as requested.

D637B269-72C5-4455-9E97-435D4B22D000.jpeg

BC1CABD5-0AEB-4D72-9D71-A1F0A8BFA5F5.jpeg

Thanks so much for sharing these photos @ericd3nholm.

@EricL will follow up with the provider when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

8CCB4E84-1012-4D9E-B8C0-F58A085E9BA9.png

For anyone following along, problem solved!

You set an automation that has “when all conditions are met” and include both when motion detected and when light status is off.
Then for actions switch on; delay 10 mins; then switch off.
The key change being that I didn’t have “when all conditions met” meaning the sensor kept restarting the automation when the light was on.
Now Works great.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ericd3nholm

That's fantastic that you've found the solution. I've just been speaking to Arlec and they have recommended a similar step to fix it. However, if you should encounter any other events, Arlec's technical department is more than happy to assist you with programming the set. Their email is: techenquries@arlec.com.au, please make sure to include all the details of the behaviors you wish to modify. Thank you so much for sharing your solution.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Handy to know!

Not my wife would like your cooking set up.

She has a struggle with Google Home voice activation as it doesn't like her accent much.

I wish there was more upfront information on how it works.

I have Grid/Google at home and MIO at work with Swann and Ring systems I have installed for other people. I now have 4 apps on my phone to manage them because none of them intergrate fully into the 3 main systems available.

Hi Eric, I am trying to do the same thing as you, where my office Arlec light bulb is to only turn on when the Arlec motion sensor senses motion. I want it to stay on for as long as there's motion and only turn the light off if there's no motion for 5 mins.

I tried your method and after 5 mins, the lights start flickering between on and off... Any idea what I'm doing wrong? 

Screenshot_20220530-182352_Grid Connect.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jokerder

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Arlec light bulb.

Let me tag @ericd3nholm to make them aware of your questions. I believe Eric was mentioning a step in the programming, you set an automation that has “when all conditions are met” and include both when motion is detected and when the light status is off. Then for actions switch on; delay 10 mins; then switch off. 

In this case of course you set the time to your preferred length. If that program choice is in the options that would be the key change to the programming. Because you are currently in the same situation as Eric where the program would keep trying to execute itself as if there was no end to it. But upon changing the condition to when all the conditions are met the program would stop.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@ericd3nholm this is fantastic I've just came across the exact same issue of the motion sensor flashing the light on and off when I am in the room and it is detecting me. I am going to give go.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects