Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill a gap in a window?

jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

How do I fill a gap in a window?

Hey all!

I'm experiencing my first Melb winter in a weatherboard house, and am trying to do everything I can to insulate the place because it's so cold!

I noticed the curtains in the master bedroom blowing slightly on a windy day and figured there was a gap somewhere.

I think I found the culprit - seems like the rubber there doesn't reach all the way into the corner.

IMG20210618121203.jpg

IMG20210618121210.jpg

What can I do to close this gap?

And are there any other areas in an aluminium window frame that I should look into, or things I can do, to ensure it's as insulated as it can be? (Without, of course, replacing it all with double insulated windows!)

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I fill a gap in a window?

It looks like Quad Seal 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jsuyat,

It's great to see @Brad has already provided a helpful suggestion. That product sounds like it would work, but you'll need to glue it in place as it is just a quad profile. You could use Sika 300ml Black SikaSeal Kitchen And Bathroom Silicone Sealant for this. Just apply a fine bead to the glass and the frame and then press the quad foam onto it. Alternatively, you could fill the gap up with the sealant if you weren't concerned with the appearance.

Another place to check for gaps is in between the frames. There should be little to no gap in the area I've marked below when the windows are closed. A little trick is to take a tissue and pull it apart, so you have a single-ply. This will leave you with a very thin piece of tissue. Hold it up around the window in different areas when it is windy outside. Since the tissue is so thin, it will easily show where the leak is coming from.

Be sure to check out this step-by-step guide: How to winter-proof your home. There are also some handy tips in the ongoing discussion about keeping your house warm in those winter months.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jsuyat
Cultivating a Following

Thank you all for your advice! I finally found time during lockdown to seal the gaps in the window using the sealant and quad sponge, and have noticed a considerable difference. Unfortunately, I do still see a bit of a draft coming from the window, and I assume it's coming from the gap between the frame, as @MitchellMc pointed out

Is there a way to seal this area?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @jsuyat. Glad to see you have seen an improvement. 

As Mitch is currently on leave following the arrival of his baby boy, let me tag our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL who should be able to offer suggestions when he's back on the site on Friday.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jsuyat

It's great that the recommendations from @MitchellMc and @Brad have helped. I recommend doing a detailed search for the possible areas where the wind is getting through. If it is around the panels of the frame specifically between the sliding one and the steady one, I suggest using Raven 5m Draught Excluder Door And Window Seal - RP61. This is an ideal seal for sliding glass panels. 

I suggest placing your hand in front of your window and slowly pass your hand around the window frame to get an idea of where the wind is still coming through. Once you find that spot would it be possible for you to post a photo? We will then recommend other seals to give you a totally tight window.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects