Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you cover a table top with Resin?

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

How do you cover a table top with Resin?

I have a top for my new cutting room sewing table and wonder if anyone has finished a top with Clear Resin?

Mary

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do you cover a table top with Resin?

Thanks for reaching out with your question @MaryTonnz.

Let me tag @r23on and @Mathy to see if they can share any thoughts to kick off this discussion. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thank you Stevie :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MaryTonnz

Thank you for sharing your question about the tabletop resin finish. 

I've only seen the Feast Watson 1m² Glass Finish applied to a small area. But the finish is amazing, there is a short video on the product page that actually shows you how it's applied. The video actually uses a small butane torch to remove bubbles in the resin. Here is the link to that torch Tradeflame 220g Butane Power Gas Heating Torch.

Using clear resin on flat tops creates droplets that might go onto your benchtop or floor. Make sure to cover your work area with plastic or an old shower curtain. Make sure that you have a cardboard box bigger than the project to cover your tabletop. This will prevent dust insects and curious fingers from touching the resin before it is cured. 

Please make sure to follow the recommended drying time to make sure that the resin is totally dry.

We are very keen to see your tabletop once you've finished. Any photos and updates you can provide will be much appreciated.

If you need more information please let us know. 

Eric

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thanks for that information Eric.  I have been watching some stuff on the television where they just poured the resin on and it was dry within an hour. No torch etc needed. That must be a different kind of resin to the one you mention I think?  The tabletop I am looking at doing is basically a large door that I am going to use as a cutting table for my sewing & it has ridges down it that I want to smooth out that's why I thought the resin would work.

Mary

Hi @MaryTonnz

Hopefully @LePallet might be able to share his expertise. I know Rylie has worked with resin before, including on this project - Outdoor bar made from recycled materials with a coin feature in the bench top

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MaryTonnz

I'm glad I could help, some kits can cover a larger area but still require the steps that I mentioned. Often the kits we see on Youtube are from overseas and are not available locally. If you really want to cover this table with resin, perhaps you should give it serious consideration. 

My other recommendation is to give it a flawless finish with Cabot's 1L Water Based Gloss Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Let me tag our experienced member @DanaR who recently upcycled a beautiful buffet sideboard. Her finish on the top was impressive.

If we can help you with any of your other projects at home please let us know.

Eric

DanaR
Having an Impact

Thank you @EricL  I'm still bumbling along with my upcycling!

@MaryTonnz It's a bit confusing sometimes and even more so when there's so many choices! For my finishes, I follow 'Keep It Simple Sweetheart.' Meaning Bunnings has a simple option for just about every thing! I use Squirts Gloss Spray in a can. 2 Coats and the finish is like glass!

Simple. cheap and hard wearing. 

Protite Clear Casting Resin is perfect if you want to embed something IN resin. I haven't used it as a pouring resin or for a thick, clear finish over pint or a transfer. 

Another option is a product called Glass Finish by Feast Watson. It's a 2 part epoxy resin that is super tough and hard wearing. It's scratch resistant and super glossy. It's a bit pricey but if you plan on doing a lot of items it pays for itself. 

Bunnings staff are used to us newbies and have a LOT of patience! (They don't run and hide when they see me entering the store!)

I hope this helps, Cheers Dana206637958_1020811595390515_6669818323801632467_n.jpg209419410_216340450355104_5534976474090317452_n3.jpg

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dana, the keep it simple stuff is what I am looking for.  your cabinet looks terrific :smile:

Mary

You are very welcome. I'm asking questions all the time plus I try to do stuff as inexpensively as possible. (I think they'll be less tears if I stuff something up and I didn't spend a lot of money on it!) Let me now how your table top goes - I can't wait to see the results. You got this!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects