Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you cover a table top with Resin?

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

How do you cover a table top with Resin?

I have a top for my new cutting room sewing table and wonder if anyone has finished a top with Clear Resin?

Mary

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Re: How do you cover a table top with Resin?

I'm still giving it a lot of thought. I am still waiting on my garage conversion to my studio/sewing room before I need it. The table top to be is a large door that was not used and has ridges in it.  I want it smooth so I can cut fabric on it and thought resin would be the way to go.

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric but my table top "to be" is a  large door  that wasn't used and I plan to use it in my [hopefully soon to be finished] garage conversion to a studio/sewing room, and I need a smooth surface for laying out fabric for cutting out. That is why I thought the resin would fill the grooves in the door to make it smooth.

Hi @MaryTonnz,

It sounds like CustomWood MDF 3mm 2440 x 1220mm White Melamine Backing might work well for you. The team in-store can cut it to the exact door size, and you could glue it to the surface. It's only a very thin 3mm sheet and has an ultra-smooth melamine coating on it. Perfect for laying fabric out on. However, if this is to be a rustic build and you want to keep the look of the recycled door, then, of course, this idea would spoil it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

thanks Mitchell, that probably sounds a better idea. The door is a new white door, just not used as it was slightly damaged on one end, so not a rustic look there. :smile:

@MaryTonnz,

To adhere the sheet to the door, you could spread a very thin amount of Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive over the surface of the door and then tack the sheet down around the perimeter with Paslode 20 x 1.6mm 100g Bright Steel Flat Head Nails. Just make sure you tap the nail in fractionally lower than the sheet's surface, so they don't snag the fabric. You could even leave them out completely if you have a few clamps to hold the sheet in place whilst the glue dries.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects