Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How easy is it to trim stainless steel fly wire for a wooden fly screen door

IanPaterson
Just Starting Out

How easy is it to trim stainless steel fly wire for a wooden fly screen door

I want to replace aluminium fly wire with stainless steel, how easy is it to trim the stainless wire to the correct size?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How easy is it to trim stainless steel fly wire for a wooden fly screen door

Hi @IanPaterson,

Welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. 

Let me tag the wonderful @Tara86 to see if she has trimmed stainless steel flywire and could share some advice with you to kick off the discussion. Was their a particular product you are planning on using?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How easy is it to trim stainless steel fly wire for a wooden fly screen door

Hi @IanPaterson. I apologise for the delay in my reply.

Trimming Stainless Steel Insect Screen is a simple job if using the correct tool. I would advise using some Crescent Wis 280mm Single Ring Shears or tin snips

Please let me know if you require further information about the process or had other questions.

Mitchell

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Hi @IanPaterson  sorry for not responding earlier. 

I actually haven’t used the stainless steel flyscreen. With our house the rear end is BAL29 - (fire prone) so those windows were preinstalled with stainless steel bushfire mesh. However the front bedroom windows I replaced are 2metres from the ground and only required standard flyscreen. I can only think of what I’ve used when cutting aluminium material for outside and just used tin snips. 

@MitchellMc has a lot of experience and knowledge, thanks for your advise ☺️

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @IanPaterson - if you have an angle grinder, you could use a 1mm steel/stainless steel cut off wheel - Flexovit make one, it’s available at Bunnings, cheers Deb

jdaley
Just Starting Out

I make lots of screens.

The best way I have found is to use a trojan knife sharpened with a diamond sharpener from time to time. If the spline is deep in the channel, just hold the knife on an angle and slowly pull it towards you. Its clean, safe and not noisy.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jdaley. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

It's great to hear your feedback on what you've successfully used to cut stainless steel fly screen. I trust our members will find your experience and advice useful.

We look forward to hearing about the projects around your house and garden, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need help or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community are our creative members are sharing their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects