Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much paint stripper will I need?

Samantha2
Finding My Feet

How much paint stripper will I need?

I am revamping my dining table and 6 chairs just the frames. Have tried just sanding but taking too long to get through it so my next step is paint stripper I have never used this product until today I am not sure just how much I will need for this project is there some sort of guide to tell me please?

just pulled apart table framejust pulled apart table framethere are 6 chairs in allthere are 6 chairs in all

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How much paint stripper will I need

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Samantha2. We're really happy to have you join us and look forward to seeing you restore your chairs and table, as well as reading about all your other projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Let me tag @Peggers, author of How to paint like a professional, to see if he might like to share his thoughts on how much paint stripper you will need. 

Normally the ever-helpful Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc would be on hand to answer your question, but he is taking a well-earned break this week. Apologies, but I'm sure Rob and other community members will be happy to promptly assist.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @Jason , I love restoring furniture like this - looks a great project.

@Samantha2 good on you for renovating this. I think it's always better to have a crack at renovating, rather than buying new. So much more satisfying! What is the final look you're hoping to achieve? Are you hoping to strip back to bare wood and then varnish? Or are you going to try for a distressed look? Or even repaint in a different colour?

The look will determine to a certain extent how much paint stripper to use. Personally I only tend to use paint stripper for taking off light layers of top coat. I just get small amounts on a rag and wipe away. If taking back paint to the bare wood I tend to use an electric sander - with a rough paper to start, and then getting smoother.

What is the plan for the table and chairs?

Thanks Jason for your input I am stripping back to stain only parts I will not be touching is the table top and seat sections you sit on will keep them the same. will post pics after I finish.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samantha2,

I'd agree with @Peggers that you perhaps need to use slightly more aggressive sandpaper to get through the coating. You would then come back and finish it with a finer grade. If you do use a paint stripper, I would suggest purchasing Poly 1L Polystrippa Paint Stripper. I don't believe you'll need to use the full litre, though you might use more than the next size down a 500ml.

Please do keep us updated and we can't wait to see your finished results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects