Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add window privacy without losing natural light?

joejoe
Growing in Experience

How to add window privacy without losing natural light?

The bathroom window faces a shared carpark, with neighbours very close by. With the light on you can see anyone clearly in the shower. Any suggestions on how to have privacy whilst allowing natural light at the top to shine through. This is my current solution which of course does not look sightly  

20220214_085959.jpg

 Also bedroom 

20220214_085848.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Window privacy

Hello @joejoe

I recommend using Pillar Products Window Film. To be more specific, I suggest Pillar Products 900mm x 2m Premium Static Solar Frost Window Film. Premium Static Solar Frost Window Film is adhesive-free making it easy to remove and re-use. Solar Frost provides privacy and helps reduce heat gain, ideal for bathrooms and ensuites. However, there are other films you can choose from, I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the window film display. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your windows covered.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install window film

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joejoe
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric! That is perfect, I was looking at something similar but the team member said it was very hard to remove, think it may have been another type. 

Just confirming as this is a rental this is easy to remove? Know it states on the website. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joejoe

I can understand why the team member was hesitant to recommend the window film. Unfortunately, yes these window films have adhesive on them and aren't easy to remove. In this instance, you'll have to modify how you apply the film to the window. Instead of sticking the film to the window, I suggest using T-Rex 48mm x 1.5m Strong Waterproofing Tape. If you're wondering why waterproof tape? Using ordinary tape often fails due to condensation, this tape will work in all weather conditions. It also has an unbelievable grip. Use conservatively and keep it in the drawer away from the sun. 

Cut the window film to the size you need and stick the corners of the film to the aluminium frame of the window using the T-Rex Tape. When the time comes to move on gently lift the tape off to prevent damaging the windows. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mario51
Getting Established

Bunnings sell privacy DUY film which you can do yourself. Just follow instructions. 

projectdreamer
Finding My Feet

Self adhesive window frosting for the bathroom. For the bedroom mirror tinted window film, you can see out but people can’t see in (in the daytime) 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

We've placed Pillars window Film on every glass surface of our home, it does a fantastic job eliminating heat and providing privacy, so I also suggest this. Our rule of thumb when choosing what for where was:

Mirror : For reflecting all the sunlight but we still want to see out. 

Crystal: For our backyard in areas that don't get too much sunlight, but we want to see out without knowing there is film on it. 
Frost: For areas where we don't want the dogs to see out. 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects