Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach bifold door handle?

marieneedshelp
Building a Reputation

How to attach bifold door handle?

Hi, I'm looking for advice regarding my external door handle on my bifold door.  Recently I noticed one of the screws attaching the plate was loose but no matter what I did it wouldn't grip when I tried to screw it back in. Now the other screw has come loose, and therefore the plate with attached handle has come off .  There's nothing wrong with the screw and the corresponding bit that it's supposed to screw into.  In fact I've take both the back and front plates off the door and tested it and the screws screw in fine.  My problem is is when I'm attaching it back on the door I can't get the screws to line up to grip/attach.  Sometimes I get one screw in but but never both at the same time..  Is there a trick to lining up the screws?  I really don't want to pay a couple of hundred dollars to get a locksmith out just to screw in two screws.  Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated....any suggestions?

20230922_123732.jpg

  

Screenshot_20230922-122128_Gallery.jpg

Re: How to attach bifold door handle?

Hi JoeAzza, thanks for your reply.  I think the female threaded section you're referring to is already a part of the plate, as in its welded on type of thing so it's not loose.  I'll attach a pic.  I've stuck cotton buds in them to draw your attention to it.  Nothing is working.  I tried longer screws but as soon as I removed them I was back to square one.  I'm starting to think whoever attached this door handle in the first place may have used screws that are 1 or 2 millimetres too short.  I think I'll pop into Bunnings tomorrow and try and find a screw that's just a tad longer.  Something just isn't making sense.

20230922_173208.jpg

@marieneedshelp , thank you for replying and attaching the photo, it’s hard to figure out what’s wrong, you may be right in trying a longer screw, hopefully it will work, you could cut the ends of the cotton buds and stick them into the thread, then see if it lines up with the other handle on the other side. 

Thanks Joe, I actually tried the cotton buds, as you just suggested,that's why I had them out.  I keep the cotton on the female thread end, so it was a snug fit, and took the cotton off the other end and thought that that might work, but once again it didn't. You wouldn't believe what I've tried today, even using tooth floss to try to manipulate the screw in place.  Thanks for your suggestions  they're much appreciated:)

Hi @marieneedshelp 

I believe your idea of using a longer screw is the one to try. I suggest bringing one of the screws and the loose plate with you to the store for testing to make sure that the screw you choose will fit. I suspect that whoever installed the set used very short screws or rather just enough to hook onto the edge of the installation post.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your door handle repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Evening @marieneedshelp 

I have been going through the chat and searching online for any type of info, I think you may be right in saying the screw is too short. If the handles can be screwed together off the door then the thread is ok. When you are trying to screw the handles back on the door they are both flush with the frame of the door? Id take the handles with you and the screws when you go to Bunnings tomorrow as it may show up when you look at other door handles.

Hope the screws are too short and you can find some others.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, I have the handles flush and held snug against the frame of the door.  The screw falls short inside the door frame, but I'm guessing that's because the thread part is also inserted into the door frame.  I will take your advice and take the handle and screw into Bunnings tomorrow.  I'm thinking if I can get a screw that's  2 millimetres longer it might work.  I'll keep you posted.

marieneedshelp
Building a Reputation

Thanks, Eric.  I think trying a longer screw is definitely worth a try.  I'll let you know the outcome:)

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @marieneedshelp @just wandering is your handle a Lockwood brand, if so I found this on line, not sure if it helps, it gives you all the different handles and door thickness.

https://www.lockweb.com.au/au/en/documents/catalogues/plate-door-handles-catalogue/Lockwood%20Plate%...

Hi Joe,

The only name wtitten on the lock is Union Assa Abloy England.  When I google it dozens of door locksets come up except for anything that resembles mine.  Thank you so much for going to the trouble of getting that link for me though:)

Hi @marieneedshelp , I've been following this post with interest.  From your earlier pics, with the small gap showing between door and lock plate, it looks like one of the screws is dropped down out of alignment. It's probably jamming between the bottom of the far hole and the recieving post in the far plate, so it turns but isn't engaged in the actual hole it should be in.  The screws should have countersunk heads which means that they will be in alignment only when they are pushed fully into the plate (on the the screw head side).  This is backed up by the pic showing the end of the screw when you had the driver in it and then when you didn't. 

I suggest that before trying to align the plates that you push one of the screws into the hole and tape it in place with clear tape (not masking), so that it sits straight and is not flopping down. Then introduce the other plate with a screwdriver pushed into the untaped screw's slot and give it a few turns to engage it in the plate.  Then shove the screwdriver through the tape into the slot of the other screw, which should be about aligned with the receiving hole. Turn it until it engages (hopefully) and only then take the tape off to make it easier to turn. I'd tape the screw nearest the handle mechanism as it is most likely to be aligned anyway and will have the least amount of variabilty, whereas the other one you can wriggle the plate and screw a bit to align them. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects