Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach window aircon in window on 2nd level of unit?

xavierandmum
Finding My Feet

How to attach window aircon in window on 2nd level of unit?

I have a two bdrm townhouse and I wanted to put a window aircon in upstairs, would i be better off with it hanging from above window or on a shelf type thing?? What would i need exactly?? And installing it upstairs will it cool upstairs and downstairs too??

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to attach window aircon in window on 2nd level of unit?

Hi @xavierandmum,

Welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members. 

Let me tag a few very helpful members in @MikeTNZ@Seaton@ikaney and @Warren1 who might like to kick off the discussion for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Hi we have done these a few times. From my experience its easier to rest on the bottom of the window frame and use a couple of realy large right angle brackets to support the outside portion ( the large gal ones with a diagonal support). The units slide out of their housing so you can bolt supports to the housing. If you attach 2 pieces of timber on the bottom one in front and one behind the aluminium frame. The front one can rest on the arcitrave taking most of the weight and the back one stops the unit moving forward. Remember to slope it down just slightly on the outside so that the water from condensation drains outside.

JDE

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience @JDE.

I'm sure @xavierandmum appreciates it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Without knowing anything about your townhouse layout, I don't think there's much chance that any unit will cool upstairs and downstairs @xavierandmum. We kinda made a mistake at our place when we tried to cool the house whole by buying a big unit for the family room. We would have been much better buying two small units - one for the family room and one for the bedroom.

Ok sweet

Oh ok thank u

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects