Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a mini mudroom

TheRenoDad
Having an Impact

How to build a mini mudroom

Introducing the Mini Mudroom: Lugna's Answer to Entryway Clutter

We've all been there, you enter the front door and the first thing you want to do is offload your belongings to lighten the load. If you're anything like us, most of the time our entryway clutter spills onto the nearest flat surface—usually the kitchen table.

Not anymore. We've crafted a dedicated drop zone that's as stylish as it is functional. A bespoke space by Lugna to stow away the daily clutter, paired with a DIY seat cushion for a touch of comfort. It's the perfect blend of form and function for heading out or arriving home.

If you need a space like this in your home, keep reading as I step you through a simple way to achieve it. 

Disclosure: Content created through a paid partnership with Bunnings and Lugna. 

Materials

Tools

• Impact driver
  • Cordless Drill
  • Nylon head hammer
  • Light claw hammer
  • Phillips Screw Driver
  • Stapler

Steps

Step 1

Plan your space and design your cabinet 

CleanShot 2023-11-07 at 10.00.49.png

Create your room and enter the dimensions into the Lugna Online Planner.

You can add doors, windows and even switches to match your space.

Next, you can move on to adding the cabinets to design your mudroom. There is a large variety of sizes and finishes to choose from, so you can get creative!

You can add drawers, doors and shelving. If you can, add drawers. They're the easiest way to access and organize your things.

Review your design at the end and double-check that all of the items you need are on the list.

You can then print the list and take it to your local Bunnings Special Order desk to organise pick up or delivery.

You can assemble the Lugna yourself if you're confident in your DIY skills. Or, you can use the Bunnings Storage Assembly Service

Step 2

Assemble your cabinet shells

(Skip to Step 6 if using the Bunnings Storage Assembly Service)

soft hammer assemble_1.67.1.jpg

To assemble your cabinet shells, get ready and find the instructions included in the box.

I like to unbox everything, lay all the parts out and get a little production line going.

The cabinets use a pin and cam system. First, screw the pin into one panel. Then, push or knock the cams into the opposite panel. I prefer using a nylon hammer to prevent mishaps.

drill assemble_1.68.1.jpg

Once the pins and cams are in you can turn the screw head of the cam to lock in the pin and it keeps the panels together.

Set your assembled cabinet shells aside, ready for installation later.

Step 3

Assemble your drawers

drawer assemble_1.69.1.jpg

We assemble the drawers using the same pin and cam design.

First screw in your pins and push in your cams. To assemble the drawer, first attach the face and sides. Then, insert the base sheet and lock it in place with the remaining panel.

While you're at this stage it's a good chance to add your drawer runners.

drawer runner_1.70.1.jpg

Inside the runners, there is a small black release latch. Pull down on the latch to remove the inner rail. After that, you can screw the inner rail to the drawer base.

Make sure that the rail is facing the correct way so that the prongs will be able to slide into the drawer runner.

Step 4

Install your cabinet shells

tallinstall_1.41.1.jpg

Now let's put our plan into action. Put the cabinet shells into the position you want them.

To ensure safety, fix the cabinets to the wall and screw them together for a seamless finish.

shell 4_1.7.2.jpg

To prevent the screw from popping out on the other side of the panel, use the appropriate length screw. You can test this by holding it in front of the panels it will be going through.

Step 5

Install your drawers

drawer 43_1.14.2.jpg

Install the drawer runner into the cabinet shell. 

Slide the drawer into position by lining up the rails on the drawer into the drawer runners of the cabinet.

Hint: Support the weight of the back of the drawer while sliding it onto the runner to make it go in easier.

Untitled_1.12.1.jpg

Step 6

Attach the doors 

door 4_1.22.2.jpg

Attach the door hinges to the doors. Then screw the hinge plate to the inside the cabinet shell. The holes are pre drilled here, so all you need to do is line them up into position.

Hint: You can also separate the hinge and plate for easier installation.

Step 7

Make the DIY seat pad

spray mdf_1.71.1.jpg

I found an MDF sheet that was the perfect size, so I didn't have to cut it. I also had a piece of high-density foam cut to the same size. (1800mm x 600mm)

I sprayed the MDF sheet and foam pad with contact adhesive. Then, I lined them up and stuck them together.

spray foam_1.72.1.jpg

Step 8

Add the material to the seat pad

staple 1_1.75.1.jpg

Choose the material you want. Wrap it around the seat pad. Flip it over and cut it to fit.

Fix the material in place by pulling it tight, but not too tight so that it doesn't distort the foam. Staple it in place.

Fold the front edge and corners neatly. They will be the most visible. Once they look good enough, staple them in place.

staple_1.74.1.jpg

Step 9

Install your seat pad 

seat pad_1.38.1.jpg

Slide your seat pad into place, no need to screw this in as it already fits nice and snug.

seat pad 2_1.40.1.jpg

Step 10

Sit back, relax and enjoy your new mini mudroom and organised space!

relax_1.59.1.jpg

Thanks for reading, and I hope you're feeling inspired to give this project a go in your own home!

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below.

Find me on all socials @TheRenoDad

Post may contain sponsored content
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a mini mudroom

Hello @TheRenoDad,

Great to see another one of your terrific projects on the site. I'm loving your mini mud room - such a practical and stylish space for keeping your home tidy and organised. A simple D.I.Y. project too. How long did this project take from start to finish?

Congratulations on creating this beautiful mud room once again. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Love Luke’s work !!!! 😃

Hi Akanksha,

Thank you! Happy to be sharing again.

It took 2-3 days in total from organising everything to working on and off with it.

Luke 

Thank you! @mich1972 😀

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Absolutely love this @TheRenoDad!! Thanks for the inspiration and liking the product used and instructions on how to put it all together. Very modern and light and budget friendly.

Thanks for the positive feedback @projectmumdanni !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects