Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an entrance door

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

How to build an entrance door

Hi, I need to replace an entrance door which is a non-standard size, and so I thought I would have a go at building one from scratch to fit the doorway, as a replacement will be quite costly given it's only a back door to our laundry, and doesn't need to be too pretty. I'm thinking maybe a couple of sheets of plywood fixed to a basic wooden frame? Can anyone provide any information about best materials to use, and/or how to put one together? Many thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an entrance door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Smithrj. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Were you looking to build the door yourself as having a door custom made would be quite costly? Generally, you would just take a standard off the shelf door the next size up and cut it down to size. What size does your door need to be? I can't really see you building a door for less than one off the shelf, but if you would like to I'm sure we can suggest the products needed.

I presume you want to create a hollow-core door from your description. Please be aware hollow-core doors are for internal use as they can be kicked through quite easily. You won't want to use one unless it is a standalone laundry with no thoroughfare into the house.

External doors come in contact with moisture so you'll need to use at least 2440 x 900 x 4mm F22 Hardwood Plybrace as the skins and 57 x 32mm 5.4m FJ H3 LOSP DAR Primed Pine for the frame. That's already at over $70 but a Corinthian Doors 2040 x 820 x 35mm Duracote Tempered Hardboard External Flush Door is only $63 and is ready to be cut down. You'll just need to cut it to size, add a strip of timber on the cut edge, prime/paint and install.

Let me mention the knowledgable @Brad to see if he would like to join the conversation on non-standard door sizes and options available.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks so much for your reply and information. The issue I have is that the door opening is larger than usual - the present door measures 2110 x 810 x 38 mm. A recent quote I received for installing a new door (admittedly including door hardware) was close to $900, so thought I would have a go at custom making one to fit, just wasn't sure of the best materials or method for making one myself.

Thanks again.

Rod.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi  Rod (@Smithrj), 

The Corinthian Doors 2100 x 920 x 35mm Exp Blokdor External Door would only need a thin 10mm strip of timber on the top to make up the 2110mm and then could be cut down to the 810mm width. Once again you would need to run a strip of timber down the edge to cover the exposed MDF internal core.

That would leave you with a solid core door and not something constructed of plywood.

Mitchell

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Many thanks again Mitchell. Does Bunnings have these in stock or are they a special order? Can't seem to find them on the website.

Rod.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Smithrj,

It could have to do with the difference in our locations and stock availability. I'll reach out via private message to get some additional details off you so I can track down an equivalent product available to you locally.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Rod (@Smithrj),

Here's the equivalent product Hume Doors Timber 2100 x 920 x 35mm Blockboard Flush Exterior Door which you'll find available and in stock at your local Bunnings store.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects