Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose the right light globe

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

How to choose the right light globe

So you head into your local Bunnings to grab a replacement globe and am smacked in the face by a dedicated isle of light globes and your confidence of knowing what you need goes out the window. Don't worry your not alone it's a very common occurrence and it is very daunting for most so let me try to break it down for you all.

Let's start with type of globes based on their base type.

Screw in globes . E27 and E14 are your most common these are the large and small screw type globes.

Push and turn globes. B22 and B15 are your most common these are the large and small push turn type globes.

Screenshot_20220731-202040_eBay.jpg

Fluoro straight tubes. T8 and T5 are your 2 common tubes these are the thick ones and the thin ones. 

Screenshot_20220731-202535_Chrome.jpg

Fluoro circular tubes. T9 and T5 are your 2 common tubes these are the thick ones and the thin ones.

  

Screenshot_20220731-202639_Chrome.jpg

Push in Fluoro tubes. PL tubes these are either 2 pin or 4 pin

Screenshot_20220731-202719_Chrome.jpg

G4 bi pin low voltage halogen globes often used in range hoods or low profile downlights, these also come in a LED option

Screenshot_20220731-202839_Chrome.jpg

G9 bi pin 240v halogen globes also used in range hoods and some lighting applications, these also come in a LED option.

Screenshot_20220731-203046_Chrome.jpg

Linear lamps often used in flood lights watts can be from 50W throught to 1000W, these also come in a LED option.

Screenshot_20220731-203206_Chrome.jpg

Downlight globes. GU10 and MR16,

GU10 is the 240v version of the dowlight globe not requiring a transformer where the MR16 is a 12V version requiring a transformer.

images (90).jpeg

So that's the base types in globes next we will address the 4 common types of globes available Incandesent, Halogen, Fluoroescent, LED (light emitting diode).

Incandescent the original technology been around since Thomas Edison invented it. It's the act of passing voltage over a thin wire that heats up and glows then emits that as a light.

images (91).jpeg

Halogen is an advancement on Incandescents but uses similar technology.

images (92).jpeg

Flouroesent is the energisation of gases within the globe that then collide and those collisions excite and emit light.

Screenshot_20220731-204100_Chrome.jpg

LED is electronics that pass voltage into light editing diodes that then emits light.

images (94).jpeg

So what is better?

The latest technology LED has the greatest energy saving for the same light output as seen in the chart below, there is also no ramping to full brightness it is on or off unlike fluoros, there is less heat output unlike Incandescents/ halogen.

images (88).jpeg

 so from that chart you can see the comparison between the watts of the globe required, the cost to run for the desired light output in lumen.

Lumen? What's that you ask?

Lumens is the common measurement across all globes and it is the amount of light output so when you are comparing globes or light fittings the lumens will be your guide to how bright or dull it is.

Next up is colour of globes.

There are 3 common terms that is referred to.

Warm White, Cool White, Day Light.

Warm White is that yellow colour typically it is measured at 3000k (kelvin) I usually recommend it for the bedroom and bedside lamps or table lamps as its a soft light.

Cool White it's the in between colour it's not yellow but it's not white white, usually measure at 4000k (kelvin) I typically recommend for general house use.

DayLight this is the hospital bright light typically measures 6500k (kelvins) and is the brightest of them all.

Below is a comparison chart of the colours.

images (89).jpeg

So what about watts?

You've just picked up a new table lamp and it says you require an E27 globe Max 60W and you head to the globe isle and look at the LED globes in the E27 section but none of them go up to 60w so what the??? Alot of the table lamps or fittings are still rating globes based on the old Incandescent globes due to the wiring of the actual fitting. 

So below is a guide to choosing a LED against the recommended Incandescent.

images (2).png

Smart globes what's this all about and what's so smart about them?

Smart globes are able to connect to your Wifi directly or through Bluetooth hubs, once connected through apps they can be controlled by your mobile devices including setting timers, schedules, dimming, automations then with additional  devices they can be switched with motion detection or smart switches and much more.

Some of the companies are Arlec (Grid Connect), Phillips (Hue), Wiz.

Screenshot_20220731-204605_Chrome.jpg

The other lamps I have not touched on are oven lamps these are the 15w E14, 25w E14, 40w E14 and 15W B15 globes they are incandescent and designed for the higher temperatures they are generally small in size. It is always best to stay with the same wattage and not increase due to possible wiring restrictions within the appliance.

Screenshot_20220731-204312_Chrome.jpg

Next are Heat Lamps found in 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 bathroom heaters, these come in 2 wattages 275w and 375w once again it is best practice not to increase the size of the globe due to internal wiring if unsure go with the 275w.

Screenshot_20220731-203756_Chrome.jpg

R80, R63, R50 globes these fall under the reflector globe category and are generally used for the centre globe of the 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 bathroom heaters. It is always best to compare your old globe to the new one when replacing unfortunately there are some height differences. The R80s are also used in the older style downlights as well and some flood lights. They can come in halogen and LED.

Screenshot_20220731-202150_Chrome.jpg

Spot lights consit of Par38s and have a E27 base they are available in halogen, LED and Smart globes they used to common in Fluoro 

Screenshot_20220731-203949_Chrome.jpg

And last up is the halogen candles and round globes these are generally used in range hoods. The wattage is typically 28w or 25w in both clear and frosted. Due to the heat above the cook top it is best to stay with the halogens in the range hoods rather than switching to the LEDs here just because to the circuitry and heat in my opinion.

Screenshot_20220731-210630_Chrome.jpg

There will be some other types I have not gone into like salt lamps and lava lamps and that's because each one is so different so it's best to take the globe in to the store for comparison and that goes for most globes if you can take it in it makes life very easy.

LED conversions for fluorescent fittings, this is possible for light fittings that have a magnetic iron core ballast and starters, it is possible for newer fittings but requires modification from q qualified electrician. The best way to tell is see if your fitting has a starter as per below, this must be replaced with the one that comes with the LED replacement globe. Benefits are lower power consumption, better light output and even smart light conversion.

Screenshot_20220731-205253_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220731-211411_Chrome.jpg

So I hope passing on some of my knowledge gives you some confidence before you walk into your local store if you have any questions please ask below.

Screenshot_20220731-200714_Chrome.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose the right light globe

Many thanks for sharing your expert knowledge @CSParnell. It will undoubtedly assist our members with solving many of the mysteries surrounding globe selection.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @CSParnell 

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

"G9 bi pin 240v halogen globes"

We had the 40 watt variety. One light fitting took five of them - so, 200 watts/hr? Rather uneconomical?

So I replaced them with the LED variety.

I think this reduced the wattage to 2 watts each.

Can't remember the brand - Mirabella I think?

I was amazed and somewhat horrified to find when the light switch was off - there was still a faint glow in the LED bulb/s

The house is old (1947) and some sections still have the 'cloth' covered wiring but this is happening in the newer section.

I rang their help-line and they put me onto their 'technician'.

He told me the house is old so there would still be a "residual current" in the neutral wiring and since the globes had such a low wattage a faint glow in the off position can sometimes be seen.

I asked if the wiring was safe.

"Absolutely" he replied. "If your house was newer and incorporated light switches that cut both the active and neutral wires in the off position you wouldn't be seeing this."

Taken at 0720 hrs - still darkish outside and the camera lies - it ain't that bright, but this was taken with the switch off.

OFFOFFONON

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I have the same issue in my newish car @Noyade.

I installed LED globes, and the roof one is always dimly lit. I was worried at first that it would drain the battery, but no issues so far. It doesn't take much residual current to power them.

Mitchell

Interesting @MitchellMc 

The other funny thing with my globes is it seems weather dependent. Been rather wet lately - no residual glow now. I wonder if it's "earth" related?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

"I wonder if it's "earth" related" I'd be keen to hear @CSParnell's thought on that. That's a bit unusual about the weather affecting it.

Mitchell

Hey @MitchellMc and @Noyade there are a few things that could be at play here first off let me debug a first things.

Residual Current is not the correct term that should have been used in this issue by the electrician the phenomenon is mutual induction where by 2 or more cables run parallel to each other over a distance and the magnetic field produced by the cable with power inducts into the cable without power and in turn induces a voltage which may be small but enough to power lights dimly.

The second thing to debug is that the last time I checked our Regs AS3000 there are no requirements to use double pole switching except for caravans and mobile homes so saying newer homes have active and neutral switching is incorrect.

Saying that switches can ware and small amounts of voltage can leak across the contacts thus giving you dim light.

Poor neutral or earth connections can also be to blame as well. Earth's of high resistance can also cause issues.

With the LEDs themselves poor quality components can cause issues.

I hope that hasn't just left your head spinning sorry.

Carl.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for that Carl!

I can easily live with that.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

All good mate anytime.

It's nice to have some understanding why it maybe happening rather than a to simple answer sometimes.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects