Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean rough concrete floors?

alyssaamelia
Just Starting Out

How to clean rough concrete floors?

Hi all, I have a tiny (shed) home which has concrete flooring that has been primed and painted white. In a few areas, the concrete is quite rough and very hard to clean. Dirt often gets trapped into the grooves and it looks terrible! Would love some advice on how to fix this issue either by smoothing out the concrete or covering it somehow. It’s a small space so a rug is not really an option sadly. I know white floor is hard to keep clean however in the smoother areas, it’s much easier to vacuum and then mop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_8097.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix this issue with my flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alyssaamelia. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a painted floor.

It appears the coating has been worn through in the high spots due to them receiving more abrasion. Now that the paint is compromised, there are limited options to rejuvenate. After cleaning it thoroughly, you could take a gamble and paint over the existing coating. However, your new coating will not be covered under warranty as it will only ever be as good as the coating underneath it. There's only one product I'm aware of which is designed for this situation, and it's the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer and either Rust-Oleum 3.78L Armour Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint or Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint as the top coat. Unfortunately, the topcoats for this primer are only these two grey colours.

You could re-surface the area and grind back the concrete to a smooth surface and remove the roughness. If you were to go to that extent, you could paint again in your preferred choice of colours as it's bare concrete.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects