Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut tiles for a Herringbone pattern?

Nonica2605
Growing in Experience

How to cut tiles for a Herringbone pattern?

Hi Mitchell! I have run into another issue. I wanted to use these tiles from Bunnings pictured below for the fireplace but I’m finding it very hard to cut using a wet tile saw or even the qep nippers, do you have any suggestions on what I can use to cut these in little triangles that are needed to finish off a herringbone pattern? 

5B0E2FAE-DE0F-4B46-A3E2-8E82F5F506B5.jpeg

48121247-E117-4950-9912-33888136FDCF.jpeg

7B304947-CB72-4D6D-A544-59F53BC17710.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut tiles for a Herringbone pattern?

Hi @Nonica2605,

The wet tile saw will likely be the best tool for the job. Are you trying to cut the full sheets in a straight line or individually cut the smaller tiles? Ideally, it would be best to leave the tiles in the sheets and make one long straight cut to achieve your flat edge for butting up against the fireplace. Trying to cut the individual tiles on a wet saw would be considered an advanced tiling skill and not something I'd really recommend. Although the diamond blade doesn't have teeth like a timber blade, you'd still be placing your fingers very close to it. Perhaps you might consider doing most of the tiling work and then having a professional cut the remaining tile to fill the voids.

Those nippers will also give you trouble, as they are designed for taking small chunks off tile corners, etc. You'll find it hard to get consistent lines.

If you can provide our helpful members with some details on the difficulties you have been having, I trust they'll have some solutions for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc  thanks for your prompt response! I have actually found a very efficient and easy way to complete this difficult tiling project using the same merging used in this video https://youtu.be/HYoCYOETYQo I really think this will help a lot beginner tilers take up complex tiling projects. The only thing I need to carry this out is a hydro ban board that he uses in the beginning of this video, I can’t see that Bunnings sells those. Upon doing some research I learnt that a wedi board would work for the same purpose however I see that Bunnings doesn’t carry those anymore? Would you know of any substitute for those two to be used in the same way that this video has used them? Thanks Mitchell :smile: 

Hi @Nonica2605,

Mitch is taking a well-earned break and will be back on the site on Friday. 

Let me tag some other helpful members in @Jewelleryrescue@homeinmelbourne and @Brad to see if they might be able to assist with your question about a wedi board. 

Thanks,

Jason

Hi @Nonica2605  and @Jason  @MitchellMc 

I personally would have taken whole sheets and cut the corners off  with the wet saw Like @MitchellMc  is suggesting and glued the whole corners into place.  

Angle  grinder 100mm masonary cutting or grinding wheel

But if you  want or need to cut small tile sections use a 100 mm angle grinder with a masonary cutting wheel Takes a little practice but worth while I would lightly cut / score through the glaze first and slowly cut  the softer inner  tile .  Cut  onto a  old board to support smallest tiles bits. I used this method to cut 15mm thick marble it worked.  thinner tiles easier again. Use a  timber 400 by 400mm square and nail  45 degree timber 5mm thick strip to it to hold  the tile against so it maintains 45 degrees and a straight cut minimal risk of sliping. Angle grinder also good for a quick tile edge sanding.

Wear dusk mask as no water used cut out side or your house will be covered with dust,  OR  tape painters light plastic drop sheets to ceiling to make a small cutting booth indoors

As for the wedi good ply wood?  what about 3mm or 5mm corflute

Ps I use cut up Corflute   100mm stripes for concrete form work as it is reusable and  smooth and more flexible than timber on tighter curves.

5mm Corflute White 1200 x 900mm I/N: 0390163 $19 Weather resistant plastic.

Hi @Jewelleryrescue thank you for your message! :smile: the only problem with corflute is that I don’t supposed I can tile over it? Still looking for a good substitute for a wedi board as wedi boards are suitable to tile over. 

Hi @Nonica2605 

I never tested  tile glue on corflute so  lets err on the side of caution  and say it does not work and happily avoid it for this project.

But you can  use villaboard to  tile on it starts at 6mm thick.

Hi @Nonica2605,

The process illustrated in the video is certainly interesting, but I'm unaware of any cardboard-like products suitable for tiling over. You could tape the individual sheets together with gaffer tape. That would hold them together whilst you make your longer cuts. You could then remove the tape and stick the sheets to your substrate.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects