Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to demolish a wall or ceiling

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

How to demolish a wall or ceiling

Hi team!
Thought I'd share something with you that may be helpful...
We've been extending & renovating and are now working on moving internal walls etc.
If you watch any of the millions of lifestyle renovation shows you'll often see them smashing the stuffing out of walls and ceilings with hammers and demo bars as they get rid of gyprock/plaster walls etc. Even kicking down or throwing themselves through walls.
Don't. Seriously... just don't.
Okay, maybe just a little on one wall for fun but seriously.

Let me list the reasons why...

• You never know what's behind that sheeting... are you really, totally sure there are no wires or pipes?
  • You might take one almighty swing... straight into a concealed stud/upright. Great way to dislocate your shoulder...
  • You might take one almighty swing... straight into a concealed load-bearing post. Great way to destabilise your roof.
  • You create an almighty mess. Dust and chunks of plaster everywhere.
  • You end up making 3 times as many trips to the skip to drop the broken-up material.
  • You increase the chances of damaging areas you don't want to disturb or even loosening ceiling sheets & having them come down on your head.

So how to do it properly, and safely?

• Rather than smashing everything up, take it apart. Bit by bit.
  • Do it in the reverse order the builders put it together - skirting & architraves, cornices then plasterboards...

Does this make a difference? Well... have a look at the pic below.

Which do you think is easier and safer and cleaner and needs less tidying up... Carrying a nearly intact sheet out in one go or carrying out 5 bucket-loads of smashed up dusty sheeting?
Disassembling rather than demolishing also teaches you a lot about how a house is built. Useful stuff to know as you start rebuilding.
To be honest taking the time to remove sheets in big pieces doesn't actually take any longer. You lose some time on removal but you'll gain it back on the moving of waste & clean up.
Oh, and you'll also find you get a lot more in a skip bin when they're flat sheets.
I've found the best thing for getting sheets off is a bar like this that has a short handle and broad blade.
The real trick is to locate the nails and start lifting from that point.
Hope this is useful to you sometime!

IMG_7183.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Demoltion derby!

Hi @Adam_W,

Some excellent tips that all members completing D.I.Y. home renovations will find useful. We look forward to hearing more about your renovation and can't wait to see the results.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Demoltion derby!

Well said @Adam_W , great advice.

Those TV shows make demolition look fun till you have to clean up afterwards. 

I found the same thing with renovating my kitchen and removing the old cupboards from the walls. Once you remove the doors and shelves you mostly find the cupboards are just boxes screwed to the walls and it is easier, cleaner and safer to unscrew them from the walls and take them out.

Might have been great fun to lay into them with a sledge hammer, until someone loses an eye!

Cheers,

Stuart

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects