Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure under house doesn't flood again?

totocol
Building a Reputation

How to ensure under house doesn't flood again?

12ADAA0D-3F6F-4193-83E8-B866F73964A6.jpeg

41C88E9B-9704-4C08-897F-A1DBEF2B90FF.jpeg

BA62409B-773C-4C1D-955A-51B13C42A68D.jpeg

  

We live in an area that had a lot of rain over the last couple of days. House is above ground but we got a bit of flooding under the house and it looks like a lot of the water flows into one area. Photos attached. 

I’ll probably get a submersible pump but wanted to know if this is something I should correct in a more permanent way to ensure water does not pool there. My main concern is that if it goes another 20-30 cm it can actually flood and aircon unit and crate a shirt circuit I imagine. I also wanted to check if submersible pumps usually come with a long hose to be able to channel the water to a different location or if that usually needs to be purchased separately 

any feedback would be great. Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: flooded under house

Hi @totocol

Adding a pit would accelerate the diversion of the water into the drain coil. If you place gravel on top of the drain coil, putting the turf on top of the gravel is no longer an option.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

we added the vortex pit but the grass continued getting really wet and the crowling space on that side is also pooling water after the last bits of rain so wondering about some more long term solutions. The other side of the house with the new stormwater pit did not have issues with the recent rain.

The builder sent a photo of an AG-pipe he added to the side that’s getting really wet and transferring water to the crawling space. My current hypothesis after doing some reading is that we maybe have some issues with negative grading and that we might need to remove the turf and re level the soil to ensure there is a bigger slope moving water towards the hedge and away from the house as well as some more AG pipes perpendicular to the current AG pipe. Does this sound like a good approach? 

thanks! 

photo below of the ag pipe 

6C1CC718-B61F-4094-BEB8-48586B8235AE.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @totocol

This is an excellent approach. If your overall view is that the current slope of the turf is more angled towards your house, I agree with your idea of changing the level of the turf and having it fall towards the front away from the house. Adding extra AG pipes will definitely help with the redirection of water falling towards your property.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

just a quick question. The side of the house that has only a small part of the foundation exposed has the vent very close to the floor so it would be covered if I increase the height of the soil on that side. I’ve found vent covers being used in some overseas websites but I’m trying to find an equivalent here. I’m attaching a photo as an example to see if you can guide me to an equivalent product. They call them vent wells abroad and are made out  of galvanised steel 

thanks! 

D4CA8952-3510-4D6C-A0A6-D6114F966402.jpeg

totocol
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL @MitchellMc just wanted to double check if you had some ideas for the vent well since I’m getting started this weekend. Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Apologies for the delay in my reply @totocol

I haven't seen those vents available. Perhaps you could fashion something similar out of garden edging. You could even brick up a small wall to hold the soil back from the vent. I'd question whether raising the soil and grading it away from the house will do much for water diversion. Unless it's a compacted base or clay, the water will penetrate through it and make its way to the crawlspace or wherever the water table takes it.

We've experienced some rather extreme weather events recently, and unless you have an ongoing problem with regular rainfall, it would be worth considering whether re-grading your lawn is worthwhile. Perhaps install a secondary Agline and see if that assists.

Mitchell

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

i will give that a try. Can I confirm that for the agline all I need is to get some socked and slotted draincoils and then cover them with gravel before putting soil and grass back on top? 
thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's the basic principle @totocol.  You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How to install garden drainage and How to fix a muddy lawn.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc. Unfortunately, I've not seen a vent well product in the store. As suggested by my colleague you could fashion one out of either brick, pavers or aluminium. I've placed an image below to give you some ideas.

The aluminium has been bent using a hammer and timber to take on that particular shape.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

totocols water barrier1.jpg

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks again @EricL @MitchellMc 

We ended up combining a couple of additional AG pipes with the regrading of the lawn on that side of the house. We still got some water this latest rain but it was much better than last time. We’re going to re grade some of the areas in the crawling space to direct the water towards the stormwater pit we built and I think that should be enough if we get the same rain again. Would a bit of wetness in the crawling space create an ongoing issue? Should we think of adding some fans in the long term? Do you have some guides on how to add those with a DIY approach? 

thanks! 

Vents covering before regrading 

12131D5C-CABC-489E-8576-09B12B56A877.jpeg

Two additional pipes 

837729F1-65B9-4803-B1A7-A73188F88212.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects