Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure under house doesn't flood again?

totocol
Building a Reputation

How to ensure under house doesn't flood again?

12ADAA0D-3F6F-4193-83E8-B866F73964A6.jpeg

41C88E9B-9704-4C08-897F-A1DBEF2B90FF.jpeg

BA62409B-773C-4C1D-955A-51B13C42A68D.jpeg

  

We live in an area that had a lot of rain over the last couple of days. House is above ground but we got a bit of flooding under the house and it looks like a lot of the water flows into one area. Photos attached. 

I’ll probably get a submersible pump but wanted to know if this is something I should correct in a more permanent way to ensure water does not pool there. My main concern is that if it goes another 20-30 cm it can actually flood and aircon unit and crate a shirt circuit I imagine. I also wanted to check if submersible pumps usually come with a long hose to be able to channel the water to a different location or if that usually needs to be purchased separately 

any feedback would be great. Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: flooded under house

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with this weather @totocol.

A submersible pump sounds like a great solution. Not only will you be able to pump out the current standing water, but if you purchase one with a float switch, it will turn on automatically in the event of flooding and keep the water level below the aircon. However, if the water entering the space exceeds the capacity of the pump, then it will only keep the flooding at bay temporarily.

For our helpful members to provide advice on a permanent solution, we'd likely need to know a bit more about the lay of the land surrounding the house. Generally, you'd start with the lowest point where the flooding occurs and place a stormwater pit there. The water would then be piped outside the wall and ideally connected to an existing stormwater line. If it's purely the wall retaining the water and not due to the lay of the land, you could look at removing a few bricks from a lower course of the wall and replacing them with a Builders Edge 230 x 75mm Galvanised Brick Vent. These will give the water an escape route, and it would hopefully then disperse into the yard.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 
i managed to buy the last pump at my local Bunnings and the water has kept levelled while the rain has continued. 

that’s the lower side of the house and it does seem like the water has nowhere else to go once it pools there. There is an absorption pit on one side of the house and and ag pipe on the other side but we’ll definitely need to djj ok some adjustments after the rain ends and things settle a bit to ensure we’re more prepared for future floods. 

thanks again 

totocol
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

Just wondering a couple of things:

- what type of pvc cement would you need to join 90mm pvc pipes? 

- how do you usually attach the vent? 

thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol

I suggest using Protek 125ml Type N Blue Cement Solvent. This is the recommended glue to use on PVC fittings. You'll need some mortar to fix the vent into the brick wall. You can also use Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails, but the mortar gives a much better finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to replace a vent in a brick wall

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

I finished the stormwater pit today (photos attached) but had a quick question. I’m wanting to add a drain on the other side of the house to divert water away from the house. The driveway was built using a V shape like slope so the water is flowing into the middle of the front yard and getting saturated quite quickly on the one spots I’m trying to create a drain from the end of the driveway in the middle point where the water is being collected and divert it forwards the hedge so not al water go to the same spot. My question is, do EasyDrains cole with a fall so that I can add the drain to follow the same direction of the driveway concrete or will I need to have a different level on the drain to the level on the driveway? I’d prefer it to be ok the same level so it’s more aesthetic. 
Thanks! 

62C5740F-7832-4E91-A6BB-0E7E9B1BC0F8.jpeg

71A4B2BE-7999-433F-8707-8B1E5FDFCC27.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol,

I'm a bit unsure whether I follow your question correctly. Could you post an image of the driveway and mark where you intend to place the draincoil?

Easydrain Draincoil can be laid with a fall as long as the fall diverts the water to the intended location.

Mitchell

totocol
Building a Reputation

See the photo of what I mean of the “V set up”. I just think it would look more aesthetic if aligned with driveway while having a fall underneath but maybe better to set up something like a vortex pit like https://www.bunnings.com.au/product_p0059936?referrer=RetailApp&utm_source=Bunnings&utm_medium=Produ... 

50D8F6F5-DC50-4A1B-B4AF-57C23BA5D60B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a good place for a French drain @totocol. Just dig a 100mm wide trench at the end of the driveway, place Draincoil at the bottom directed to the side hedge and backfill the trench with gravel.

The Vortex drain in the middle of the V would also work well.

Mitchell

drain.png

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks, @MitchellMc 

two quick questions:

- would I still add a pit at the end of the V? 
- can I still add the grass again on top of the gravel if I put a bit of soil on top of the draincoil? 

thanks! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects