Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust gutters so water does not pool?

jamieyoung
Finding My Feet

How to adjust gutters so water does not pool?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on ways I can adjust my gutters to have them flowing again... in the particular section in the photos the water is standing and doesnt flow much at all, can anyone give me some advice on this??

20220417_ac1bde00c95c16d3e528127160ad3b29.jpeg.jpg

20220417_d2c248907617fe0fd18d009938f92afc.jpeg.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: need some advice on my gutters

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jamieyoung. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about gutters.

When you mention the gutter flowing again, any idea what stopped it from flowing in the first place? 

Water will migrate to the lowest point possible. I'd suggest that the water is now trapped due to not having a consistent fall to the guttering. This could also be an indication of a structural issue in that corner. I can't think of many reasons why the gutter there would be sunken unless something structural was going on with the beams and the whole corner had dropped. It's a bit of a unique corner being chamfered off like that, and I suspect that might have something to do with this issue.

Let me mention @TedBear and @Noyade to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that, we have only been in the house for 12 months, but after the storm we had at the end of last year I want to try and fix it up as best I can before winter swings through....

I'll probably have a look again over the weekend and give it a good clean out... that way I'll be able to see what is actually happening, what can I do with adjusting the slope of the gutters?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@jamieyoung,

Please take a couple of photos while you're up there, as they'll help us try and identify any issues. How much standing water is in there? A few millimetres or centimetres?

Your roof design is a little complicated. You might be able to adjust the gutter's hanging brackets on that corner to raise it and re-establish the correct fall.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects