Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracks before painting a room?

mike1360
Building a Reputation

How to fix cracks before painting a room?

I'm looking to paint a room, but before I start painting the room. I'll have to fix the cracks and peeling paint on the walls.

Can I use "SIKA Fill That Gap" to fill gaps between scotia and wallboards?

With the condition of the peeling paint on the ceiling, do I need to peel it off with a scraper and apply joint compound before painting?

What sort of joint compound should I get for this job? Can I buy pre-mixed joint compound without mixing it myself?

Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 9.20.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-13 at 9.20.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-13 at 9.20.34 PM.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint a room

Hi @mike1360,

I am unfamiliar with SIKA Fill That Gap, but any standard paintable and flexible filler would suit that purpose. Something like Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler or Sika 310ml White SikaSeal Acrylic 100 Gap Filler would be fine.

For the ceiling, you'll need to scrape the paint back until you reach any area that is not comprised and the paint is bound sufficiently to the plaster. You don't need to apply joint compound to the newly exposed plaster, but you might need it at any transitions from old paint to the plaster to blend and feather the edge so it's not distinguishable; also, sanding the edges will help. Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound is a pre-mixed filler that can be used in these areas.

For the bare plaster, you'll need to apply Dulux 1L PRECISION White Sealer Binder before over-coating with your ceiling paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mike1360
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell, 

I'm planning to get 85 sqm of ceilings and walls done over a span of 3 months, I'll be mainly doing it over the weekend. Can I hire a stopper to come in and do the plastering around the peeling paint and cracks, and then I do the painting later? Is there a time restriction on how quickly I need to paint the ceiling once it's been plastered?

Regards,

Michael

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mike1360 

If you are hiring a stopper to do the plastering for you, I suggest leaving the plaster to cure for a minimum of one week. Depending on the thickness of the plaster applied and the weather conditions you might have to extend it to two weeks especially if the weather stays cold and damp. 

It's better to have the plaster totally cured rather than painting over a damp surface and having the paint lift off. Technically you don't want the plaster to be unpainted too long as the surface begins to get contaminated by dust and debris.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mike1360
Building a Reputation

I have removed the peeling paint on the ceiling. I'm planning to sell my house next year, Is it okay to leave the ceiling as it is now, and get it painted 6-12 months later?Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 8.42.44 AM.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mike1360 

Thanks for sharing that question about your ceiling. You can technically leave it unpainted for that amount of time, but should any moisture contamination affect the unpainted areas of your ceiling it will be another thing that you'll need to repair. I recommend painting the ceiling rather than leaving it exposed.

I propose setting aside some time to repair your ceiling in one go so that you'll not have to worry about it in a year's time. A properly repaired and painted ceiling should hold its finish even after a year.

Here is handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mike1360
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

would I be able to paint it over gib without plastering first as temporary fix. I’ll then get all ceiling professionally painted next year when I sell my house?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mike1360 

It is much better to paint the surface of the gib rather than leaving it exposed. Once you're ready for the actual repair the paint will need to be sanded to prepare the surface for plastering.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects