Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get liquid nails off brickwork?

AstridT
Just Starting Out

How to get liquid nails off brickwork?

Hi I’ve filled up holes in our brick work with left over liquid nails. We were originally going to paint over it but now want to keep the red brick. Any idea how to remove the excess ? 

41C1EE7B-D3F1-40C5-A61A-7E59A10019D8.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get liquid nails off brickwork?

Hi @AstridT,

Let me tag the ever-helpful @MitchellMc for you. I'm sure he would be happy to assist.

Welcome to the Workshop community, We trust you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our amazing community members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything or have something to share with our members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get liquid nails off brickwork?

Welcome to the Workshop community @AstridT. I'll be happy to assist with how to remove liquid nails from brickwork.

On masonry surfaces construction adhesives like Liquid Nails do not just sit on the surface, they penetrate into the bricks porous structure. They are also highly resistant to heat and chemical breakdown limiting our options for removing it. Abrasion of the Liquid Nails is generally the only effective method of removal. We need to ensure in the removal process, that the masonry surface is not damaged underneath. 

I would advise a combination of 80 grit sandpaper and a Josco 100mm Wheel Wire Brush to remove the product. Bare in mind during this process, that you can damage the brick surface and discolour it if care is not taken. Do this by keeping the abrasive on the liquid nails, trying to only remove it and not touch the brickwork. When using the wire wheel please do so at a slow speed. If the drill is run at a high RPM, the brush may smear the liquid nails across a larger area.

Please let me know if you have further questions, as I am more than happy to answer them for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects