Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a Laceleaf mirror?

Mimi2
Finding My Feet

How to hang a Laceleaf mirror?

75852A01-EC54-4E81-BE07-9940596959C6.jpeg

  

Hi there,

I’m looking to hang this mirror up on a wall in the hallway. It’s dimensions are 120* 5* 120 and quite heavy. What are the types of equipment will I need to use to hang it up?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a Laceleaf mirror

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mimi2. It's fabulous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about hanging mirrors.

Could you start by telling us what type of hanging fixture is on the back of the mirror? Perhaps there is a wire or screw hole we can use to hang off? Generally, they would be supplied with something. Feel free to take another picture of the hanging mechanism and post it up here.

Can you also tell us what type of wall you are hanging it onto? If it's plasterboard, is there a timber stud to screw into in that location? A stud finder can help track them down. It's best to hang directly off the timber framework than the plasterboard with heavy items.

I look forward to hearing a few more details and providing a solution to hanging your mirror.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

No, I bought the mirror itself and it was not supplied with anything to hang up. I’m looking to hang it on a plaster wall and attached a photo of the back of the mirror.

1B9EEAB8-E50E-4CCE-B1BB-AEDDA2B4DF85.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mimi2,

Many thanks for the image. I've highlighted the hanging fixture in it below. It appears slightly bent and should be perpendicular to the frame. You might be able to gently bend it back into place. As mentioned previously, it would be best if you could place a screw directly into a timber stud which will be located behind your plasterboard. If there is not one in the correct location and the mirror is fairly light, then you could use a GripIt 15mm Yellow Plasterboard Fixing - 4 Pack.

Once the screw is installed in the wall, the hanging fixture is placed onto the screw head, which holds the mirror in place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

The mirror is quite heavy and requires two people to lift it. So what kind of screw do I use and how do I use the Griplt 15 mm yellow plasterboard fixing? 

It’s also welded in so I can’t bend it into place.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Mimi2,

Something that requires two people to lift sounds like it should be fixed directly into the timber framework. The GripIt 15mm Yellow Plasterboard Fixing is capable of holding up to 40kg static weight. There are also some more heavy-duty versions, though their included screw head size gets larger and might not fit in the fixture on the mirror.

I'll include a video below which shows how the GripIt is installed. You'll need to install it and then screw in your screw halfway. Your mirror is then hung on the screw.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchel,

If I screwed in the screw halfway, would the screw be capable of holding the weight of the mirror? It’s 18 kg, and I’m just wondering if a screw is able to hold the mirror.

Also, are there any other alternative plasterboard fixings that we can use besides the Gripit?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mimi2,

Whether the screw is inserted fully or not, it should still be capable of holding the mirror. Just make sure the internal wings have expanded and engaged on the rear of the plasterboard. You should not be able to pull it out of the wall if it is secured properly.

There are plenty of other hollow wall anchors. However, not many of them will hold up to 18kg. You could use the Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor, but it is only capable of holding 20kgs.

Were you able to check if there is an internal timber stud in the right location? You'd simply be able to place a screw through the plasterboard into it if that was the case.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchel

If I was to use the gripit, what kind of drill bit would I need? Would it have to be a 15mm drill bit? Also, is it possible if I could use the drill bit (that I have attached) to drill into the plaster?

Also if I was able to find a wooden stud, what kind of screw would you reccommend to use? And would I need to drill a hole before hammering the screw into place?

E1AB074E-3C3A-498D-964E-86922C432126.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects