Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang heavy rails onto hollow cement wall sheeting?

joc
Just Starting Out

How to hang heavy rails onto hollow cement wall sheeting?

I have cement fibre sheeting walls and want to hang industrial piping rails for clothes onto it but not sure what anchors or toggles to use.  The cement sheeting is around 10mm, the rails have 3 holes each end to attach to wall and will need to hold at least 40kg.  Please help with advice on what to use???

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang heavy rails onto hollow cement wall sheeting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joc. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's always going to be best to fix to the wall's internal structure than a sheeting board. Do you know what is behind the sheeting and can you find a timber stud to fix into? 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joc
Just Starting Out

The house walls are fibre cement sheeting, 3mm thick.  The area in which the rail is to be mounted, there are no wall studs. Otherwise It is hollow behind the wall sheets. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joc,

The weight you wish to hang is substantial, and I don't recommend relying solely on the sheeting. Was your requirement of 40kg just an estimate, as that would be an enormous quantity of clothes?

I would suggest using a bridging piece of timber that spans between the nearest studs, and then the rail can then be fixed onto it. You could use something like 89 x 19mm x 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed PineRamset 3 / 16" x 75mm Spring Toggles can be added for additional support at the timber's midpoint.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects