Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve my wifi signal?

lorraine6443
Getting Established

How to improve my wifi signal?

I need to get a better signal for my wireless NBN wi fi.

any suggestions on what to do and buy. When I go outside the reception is slow and takes a long time to load.  Thanks

Walter

Re: wifi

Hey @lorraine6443 , Welcome to the Workshop.

There are several considerations so please bear with me when I go over some technical questions.

Generally you would need either a "WiFi Extender", or a stronger modem, but you can mitigate a few things first:

1:  What kind of modem do you have (eg, Telstra gateway, and what model)?

2: What frequency are you using (2.5ghz, or 5 ghz)

3: What channel is your WiFi?

If you have a mobile phone or tablet, you can download an app that lets you map out your WiFi signal strength

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_AU

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telstra.wifidiag

This will help you to find a good location for your modem.

What is your building construction, and how far do you want to be from the modem. I can be at the far end of my garden and get a good signal and speed. My modem gives me full coverage around the house, because I have it on a shelf in the kitchen. Where you place yours would be dependant on where your NBN come into the house if you are FTTN or FTTP.

Question 3 is above is about finding a channel that your neighbours WiFi isn't using, so you don't get swamped.

So, rather than spending a lot of money and not getting a good outcome, see if you can answer some of the above.

3D2D2854-2C47-478B-B5CB-528CC8388DEF.jpeg8E838DB7-5A15-4DA7-81EA-E2E5444C5D9B.png89296D38-EA30-448B-8AA2-11F736EC8BE1.jpeg.,

I have uploaded 3 photos hope they help. The wifi is in the back bedroom. The technician put it there as all the wiring was in that room from a previous wireless connection. My son uses the system also and he is in a caravan out side. Is going to move into the shed. The signal said intermittent so need to increase range. It is a single block brick house. Thought if I could boost from other end of house would get a better reception. Just sitting out side at times takes time to upload. It is only a small 3 bedroom house with only a kitchen dining area and lounge. Hope this for getting more advice. Thanks for your reply Lorraine E70CDE13-CB9F-4EFC-9056-003940E951C7.jpegAEA03D65-2194-4DE3-9476-0B6D6D3153FF.pngD5B768F4-86A5-429D-AAFF-3833A8FEBB2D.jpeg

Hey @lorraine6443   tanks for the pictures.

OK, that tells quite a bit.  

First, you are on FTTP  (Fibre To The Premises), you have an NBN box - the white box.

The Telstra Gateway you have is an earlier model.  Still should be OK, but I beleive the later ones (they are white) have a stronger WiFisignal, as well as 2.4 and 5 ghz, but that's not the only thing.  Your download speed seems to be a bit weak.

Are you still on contract with Telstra/Bigpond, or are you out of contract.  If you are out of contract, see if you can get a new modem with a new contract. It's a simple replacement and you won't need a technician to come out and set it up, you will just need to connect to the new WiFi and enter the new passphrase on all of your WiFi devices (about 10 minutes of effort :grin: )

Your download speed is slow, IMHO, but that's not the reason for the weak signal strength.

So my advice, step 1, see if you can get a new modem with a new contract.

Step 2: If you have electricity to the shed and the caravan AND ITS ON THE SAME ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT AS THE MAIN HOUSE (NOT VIA AN EXTENSION CORD),  you can get a "WiFi" Extender, either from Telstra, or something like this:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/networking/d-link/d-link-powerline-av2-1000-wi-fi-ac1200...

Yes, it's expensive so you might be better getting something from Telstra.  They aren't difficult to set up, but you might want a local "guru" to help out if you have any near you.

Lastly,  I would be looking at 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au   they have some really, really helpful people. If you upload those photos to there, and explain what you want, you will get huge amounts of help. They will tell you pretty much what I have said, but they will have more suggestions also.

Thankyou for your help. I am still under contract. I will talk to the telstra group. Lorraine 

I have a similar setup here in New Zealand and the ISP I'm with has Google WiFi units available as an option. I'm not really a fan of Google and don't trust them but I do find that their unit is really good. We got the three pack so each unit connects together to form a mesh which boosts the signal a lot. For instance I now have really good internet signal in my workshop which is about 20m away from the modem and I can even get pretty good internet at our front gate.

Personally if I had the money I would buy the Ubiquity UniFi three pack because they are small commercial standard and don't require a Google account to log into but the Google units are no slouches either and are a bit cheaper.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Agree with the advice so far - definitely contact your ISP and see if they will replace your modem because those speeds are slow, especially the upload speed. After you've got a speed that you're happy with, then look at extending your wifi using something like Google Wifi. 

I bought Google Wifi recently - they are mesh routers for extending your wifi and around/outside your house. Very highly recommended and very easy to install and use but they won't be able to magically make your incoming speed any faster, you need to fix that first. 

Thanks for all the help I received. I had a session with Telstra they did a remote service and modem working a little better. My plan doesn’t finish until late next year. I will get a booster in the mean time. Thanks again for all the help I have received 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects