Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a Hume door?

DaniM1
Just Starting Out

How to paint a Hume door?

 Recently fitted brand new Hume door. Primed with 4 in 1 sealer from British Paints as reccomended.Two coats of white full gloas paint applied (water based). The paint will not blend at all no matter how carefully I paint. 

Have never had an issue like this before. Any suggestions to fix this? 

20231025_092007.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint a Hume door?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @DaniM1! We're thrilled to have you join us and trust you'll find loads of useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas on the site.

Thanks for your question on painting a Hume door. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to help once he's back online on the site tomorrow. Let me also tag our helpful Workshop members @Nham@homeinmelbourne and @Dave-1 to see if they have any thoughts.

While waiting, I recommend reading the discussion Painting new Hume doors by @lindad in case it helps.

You might also want to check out the following guides: 

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @DaniM1 

Bugger! and yeah I can remember painting walls that kind of looked like that at first. And just remembered my laminate bookcase looked like that with the first coat of undercoat.

How many coats does that door have of your paint? If its only one I would suggest another coat over the top. (maybe 2 coats even)

Has the paint bubbled at all? or is it smooth to touch when dry?

Id also like to extend a hello and welcome to the Bunnings Community page :smile: Someone will know the answer to any of your questions and you will one day hopefully answer someone with the same problem you had years before!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DaniM1 

I'm surprised that the door did not get covered properly. The British Paints White 4 In 1 Prep Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat should have sealed your door properly and putting on 2 coats of gloss paint should have technically finished the job.

Did you just pick up the can from the shelf or did you bring it to the paint counter? Can you please take a photo of the can of gloss paint you used on the door. I just need to see details of the front of the can, once I have that information, I'll be able to assess the can of paint. I can then provide recommendations on how to proceed. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects