Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint wooden bay windows?

micksharky
Just Starting Out

How to paint wooden bay windows?

Hi gang, I have some old school bay windows that need sanding and a some weather protection paint. 

They are flaking in some areas. 

What would you suggest equipment and sandpaper grade wise? 

The house has a lot of windows / french doors like this, must be 30 of the buggers and gets a lot of sun so I don't mind investing in equipment😀

If I'm finding the glazing is also weathered would you suggest puttying prior to painting or is there more modern techniques these days?

Thanks team 👍

PXL_20210719_024218803.jpg

PXL_20210719_024243003.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: wooden bay windows

Hello @micksharky

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your wooden bay windows project.

Thank you for sharing those photos with the community. If you are planning on purchasing a new tool to do your project, I suggest getting one that is in line with your current toolset. If for example, you have a Ryobi Cordless Tool it has a battery system called ONE+ that allows you to use the battery for the entire tool range. I recommend the Ryobi One+ 18V Corner Sander, it is compact and designed to reach small tight spaces.

I recommend examining the condition of the putty on the glass windows and see if they need to be repaired. I suggest using Selleys 450g Linseed Oil Special Putty to replace loose and craked pieces on the window. Once repaired you can then begin sanding the window frame. Please note that I recommend scheduling this type of repair with the weather forecasting at least several days of sunshine.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint timber window frames

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects